Saturday, June 16, 2012

BRAT Duathlon 61.37 - 2nd

'Forever the Bridesmaid'.. 2nd is the 1st Loser... Its getting like that after taking out 2nd again to running hotshot  Robbie Neil at the BRAT Duathlon.
Rolled up today looking for a good final hit out before next Sundays race, and immediately saw some good competition in Robbie, 'The Sparks Crew - Laughing Policeman (Samsy) and Krone, as well as training partner Roger.
Without trying to kill the first 5ks i was looking at just keeping Robbie in sight and tied to stick within about 60 seconds of him on the run, with Roger sitting on my shoulder it helped to keep me honest and i crossed the line to get on the bike in 17.24 (3.30 pace). i could see Robbie ahead and focused on realing him in and knew i had to be OFF the bike before him to stand a chance of victory. Went past Krone on lap 6 a full lap behind and give him gob full about being soft that sparked him into action :), and about the same time went past Robbie with the aim of putting time into him on the last 3 laps.  I was thinking if i could get 25 seconds then i would maybe hold him on the 2.5k final run. Thought i was going OK but must have fallen asleep on the 10th and final lap as with about 500mtres he seemed to come from nowhere and took me on the home straight .......D'oh :) I put in the big ones at this stage and knew my only chance was for a quick transition that i achieved and set out on the run first. Bike time was about 34.39
Held my pace well working around 3.30 pace, and turned for home (1.25ks) still slightly ahead, Held for a further 200mtre before the inevitable was to happen and he came up to me  - surprised myself by kicking and going with but he was too strong over the final 500 and he crossed the line about 10 seconds ahead of me to relegate me into 2nd once again. I finished in a respectable 61.37 a couple of minutes faster then last month, so I'll take that and happy to beat training partner Roger by 40 seconds. The Sparks Boys (Samsy & Krone) finished in 5th and 7th i think and then proceeded to demolish all the snags on the BBQ (man can those boys eat - even put Clyde to shame i reckon)
i still think there is room for improvement and hopefully by the end of winter i can break the 60 minute barrier........maybe just need PLOD there to help us out, when he's not Hoola Hooping :)

Just out for a few well earned beers now, and i will be giving you the overseas rundown later on the week on the blog.

Cheers

1 comment: