Monday, August 12, 2013

City to Surf 53.47

Well for myself I regard City to Surf as one of the best days on the calendar and it normally signifies the end of winter as I see it, but I knew this year I was going in well under done after a frustrating 6 months of injury so I predicted that a time of  54 was on the cards and my slowest time since 2002.
Still it wasn’t going to deter me from getting out there with the masses and the huge HuRTS team on show on a spectacular Sydney morning with bright blue sky’s and not a cloud in sight.
Warmed up with the Chairman Tommy H and Lady Laura (hoping there good form and inspiration  would rub of on me) before heading over to the start line where the atmosphere in the preferred area is always electric. Placed myself beside Bartles and this other geezer named Kelly (who ended up coming 3rd) before the gun took us all by surprise and the fast start was soon under way. Tracked Laura for the 1st k or so before settling down behind girl in form Anna Fitzgerald for what would turn out to be the next 13ks. Felt pretty comfortable early, which was a sign I wasn’t going to hard and it was just on the 5ks mark that Walker, Super Kev and Taffy James were to come past. Super Kev then run straight in front of me to cross the road…. Thought he was in trouble or needed a toilet stop, BUT oh no, he went straight over to ‘High 5’ the 30 odd guys all dressed in Smurfs outfits. Ticked off the 5ks in approx 18.18 (3.39 pace) and still hanging on to Anna who was struggling as much as I was, Heard a booming South African voice just at the start of the hill saying ‘C’mon HuRTS lets smash this hill’ as ‘Ronnie Biggs was about to come past me, Tried to just get over Heartbreak without pushing it as PLOD was on commentary and camera duties standing half way up with a big smile on his face telling me Enda had already passed through some 4 minutes earlier.
Really struggled (as I always do ) around the climbs of Military Road up to the 10k mark passing through in 38.40 and hoped to be able to bring it home strong, The day was made a whole lot worse when Hardman J.C came past at the 12.5k mark and I was unable to go with him, He said he put in a bit effort and hoped I didn’t see him (he wore bright Green top, pink shorts and stockings, looking like he’d just left Oxford St…very hard not to)
Saw Kanser armed with camera at 13ks and basically I just took it all in from there, as Mikey was yelling out support over the final 150 meters with me coming home in 53.47.
Was I disappointed with my race and time? Well to be honest no as it’s where I am with my training and I knew I was in 54 shape and there is no hiding on that course. It’s just more frustrating to see the others who I can normally run with all fly past getting good times that hurts more. Hopefully it will stand me in good stride although time is fast running out for me. I just need to continue to get those long runs in and do the training.
Once more the team wasn’t about to let us down with some cracking runs, with old warhorse C.T first home and Barts turning Tom over with a strong last 500 meters, Great to see Enda, Richie P and Kenny all run PBs for the day, but the Timmy run of the day went once again to HuRTS #1 female Lady Laura James who finished 5th girl with a 50.37 – unreal.

I wasn’t too far out with my times listed below


Predicted Times              Actual
Tommy H   46.22           46.42
C.T            46.27           46.14
Barts          46.31           46.36
“Kenny’       48.57           48.47
Macca         49.08        DNR
Allo Allo       49.29         50.xx
Rich P        49.44          49.22
Enda          50.01           49.26
Lady Laura 51.20            50.37
Pete W       51.37           52.28
Slim Sam    51.48           53.xx
Taffy J         51.52           51.37
Y.Timmy     54.00           53.47

I did a little race report more on the team for the website that you can check out all the times from;

Many thanks to the Chairman Tommy H once more for the drinks in the tent after , always good fun before heading over to finish the day at Beach Road to really do the damage with ‘Allo Allo, Tom and Anna (god she couldn’t get away from me even after the race J ).
Special mention to Enda who kindly supplied the post race breaky BBQ (even supplied English sausages can you believe?) – went down a treat, unfortunately he has the same problem as what Kanser does ………….he doesn’t offer any sugar for my tea.
Finally to the Taffy Lad (or should that be Aussie now) James Matthews who kindly saw me safely back to Erko with a  lift and at the same time had to listen to me babble on and repeat myself about 20 times for the half hour journey ….. That’s another beer I owe ya mate J



Top day all round – Next major BIG event is Berlin …… Happy Days ahead (hopefully)

Battling On -



Heartbreak Hill - Struggle Street as PLOD enjoys it all.



Best part of the Day - Care of Allens, with Taffy James, Laura, the Chairman, Jeet Timmy, J-Fen (just) and Barts.



and a SAD way to finish, With the winning female looking as fresh as a daisy, the trouble Enda will go to get his ugly mug on the telly, Seen here looking as if he's just been shot ....Oh Dear :)

Cheers

1 comment:

  1. Mate onya for running 21 City to Surfs and for giving it your best shot.

    ReplyDelete