Monday, November 25, 2013

4 x 2k Reps with the Cannondale Kid Kanser

Put out the call for help yesterday for the upcoming 4 x 2k Reps and only old mate Kanser obliged and came to the party after Stankard and The Italian Stallion both thought the session was perhaps too difficult and gave it the wide berth.
Met up then with Kanser first up who unbelievably was on time – must have been due to his riding to the park on his Cannondale bike that he has. I have my regular 2k loop so jogged down to the start with Kanser telling me he will be happy to run at 3.45 pace today (Yeah right). After the way I felt yesterday I would be just happy to finish I thought and complete the session.
The first 1k is uphill so always slightly slower and then you are able (or should be able) to bring it home on the 2nd part of the rep. Just worked off Kanser on this one and stopped the clock in 7.21 (3.40 pace), had the standing 2 minute recovery and worked the second lap around a little faster, but only repeated the effort on the 3rd. Was pretty much done and dusted at this time, and could have called it quits then BUT Kanser said just to hang in there and run the 4th even if it was easy pace.
With this in mind I went out a lot easier for the first 1k then tried to kick it down to complete another tough session.
Times for the Day were. 7.21, 7.16, 7.20, 7.26
Although times weren’t that quick (ave 3.40s)  I am still pretty happy with that as I continue to gain some speed as well as building the ks back up each week.
Kanser was about 4-5 seconds ahead on each of the first 3, before pushing the last rep to look strong in about 7.07(?) on the last.

Once all done then cycled into town with Kanser where talk turned to Mr. Echinacea himself Enda and we both gave our predicted times on what he will run tonight at Angry Boys 5k Time Trial at E.S Marks?  Don’t want to put any pressure on him so will hold back what we said just in case he reads here and it messes with his weak head……….Jonathan Trott style.

Returned home to find a rather amusing and alarming email from the Chairman himself Tommy H. it looks like he is going all out in training and in particular the swimming to be able to beat me come the 12th December at the Biathlon.
Here is a copy of his comments

Dear Timmy.
You may be aware that I have taken a 3 month sabbatical from work in order to get myself right for the Biathlon at the A.B.C Pool on the 12th December. Mate, I am swimming the house down these days – even having my legs banded together in training whilst swimming 2 hours a day. In fact I am now the BEST swimmer in the Highnam household (well 2nd, think Bec can still take me but..) and I think come the 12th you will be TOAST ……..I think I will only need a 30 second buffer on the run to be able to hold you off. With this in mind I am happy to give you a 30 second start on the handicap system. I am even cycling with Slim Sammy Agnew in the week so we need to lock in a triathlon race to see if you can beat me at that also.
Got to go swimming calls.
Yours truly,
Tommy the Triathlete


So there you go ………looks like I have my work cut out J
For a full account of the Chairman’s NEW training regime check out his blog here on:


Rest day tomorrow after 4 straight days running, will return on Thursday for some 800s with Kanser and a swim with the STIG


Tom with his new 'Rig' as he sets up for the Biathlon on the 12th December.


Nothings going to hold him back as he gets ready for the swim squad.

Cheers


1 comment:

  1. I think the Chairman came of worst than me!! I'm happy with 'The Stig' having read this!! :)

    ReplyDelete