Monday, November 18, 2013

8 x 800s - Making a Statement

What is going on with this weather? Yet another sleepless night it appeared as the rain continues to bucket down in Sydney town throughout the night.
Arranged to meet Kanser and Enda first up for the 8 x 800s but was forced to mark out an alternative course as McKay Oval was pretty much under water and with Enda’s latest swim antics and no sign of any lifeguards at the park I thought it safer to do the session elsewhere seeing he didn’t bring his floaties along.
It was also the first time in 284 days that Kanser has fronted up to any session where Enda has been present, so today was always going to be interesting to see how they shaped up against one another.  Decided to mark out the 800s through the middle of the park on one straight stretch that takes us past the popular duck ponds and pop up cafĂ© that is there for the cycling masses on the weekends.
First rep up and only 400m into it and I’m dropped and feel as if I’m already struggling running into a headwind coming from the waters edge as I stop the clock with a less then impressive 2.47, you get the tailwind on the way back but the final 250m is uphill that brings the times back a little. Managed to get to the half way mark holding the times consistent at least but found myself some 6-7 seconds behind Kanser who in turn was about the same back from Enda whose rich vein of form continues.
Lost it slightly on 5 & 7 going out, as Enda held form whilst Kanser said it felt it was more like 1k reps, and in the end  it was to prove all too much for him as he called time after his 6th rep. I hung on in there but the 7th was to be my slowest of the morning but lifted (not by much) for my fastest to finish the killer of a set off.
Times were.  2.47, 2.48, 2.48, 2.48, 2.50, 2.49, 2.51, 2.45
Tougher set then any I’ve done over the past 4 weeks or so – not sure why? I actually thought they would have been a lot faster especially as it was a straight course and I had the boys to work off

Anyway the outcome from today’s little effort was, I’m slowly getting back into it – although it may take longer then expected, Enda is flying and his good form continues and really did make a statement today to Old Kanser that he will need to work harder to beat him, Whilst Kanser looks like it could take a while before he can claim to be Ireland's#1 ……….As I still think the Leech has it over him J

As tough as it was, I was happy to be able to get another speed session out the way, Will try to get out in the morning for a longer slower run and see if the BRAT Hardmen are floating around.

Big match first up in the morning – England take on the old enemy Germany in a friendly at Wembley, After a disappointing lose the other night against Chile a turnaround is a must, and I can see the boys getting up for this although the Germans are a great team at the moment so best I can predict for us is a 1-1 draw.
Tomorrow I will give the forecast for the much awaited ASHES where England are going for 4 straight

Cheers

No comments:

Post a Comment