Wednesday, December 18, 2013

1.2k Reps.... BUT not on Hickson Road

Another scorcher of a day in Sydney town so again I was forced to do my own session early doors around Centennial Park. Planed session for the HuRTS boys was the tough Hickson Road 1.2k reps x 5 and it is widely regarded as one of the tougher sets on the calendar. So I decided to replicate it myself and if its tough with the boys I can tell you it’s a whole lot tougher by yourself………Ohh La La, it was a killer.
Basically just did my usual 1k reps from the cafĂ© but on the warm up I worked out the extra 200 metres that was needed, Was feeling pretty tired even before the start after a couple of decent days training so once again I wasn’t looking forward to this one.
Still, underway and settled to what I thought was a solid pace working just under the 3.30 per/k mark to come home with a 4.10. Pretty much held the same for the next couple but died slightly on the 4th as all of a sudden I thought I was carrying a piano on my back going up hill. With the end in sight I then managed to somewhat recover for the 5th and drag my time back in line with the others
Times for the day – 4.10, 4.09, 4.10, 4.14, 4.11
Absolutely smashed at the end, but delighted to knock another session out the way and even better I didn’t have to head into town at lunch to do it, Times were down again on what I know I can do at Hickson but doing them solo must be worth a few seconds? And at least they were all done at sub 3.30 pace

Will have a rest day tomorrow on the running although its time trial time yet again in the swimming at lunch and I’ve promised triathlon Tommy H I’d go and have a cycle with him early doors and check out his NEW bike he has. ……….So no rest for the wicked.

Saw POD again this morning as I entered the park, as I said yesterday he’s going along nicely, he even managed to keep up with me for half a lap this morning whilst on my commute bike so things must be looking up for him? He seemed a bit grumpy though when I told him he was down to number 15th Irishman in the rankings and even tried to pass it off as it was only down to him racing 3 events throughout 2013 J

A sad day I see yesterday, with the passing of one Ronald Biggs aged 84. When I mention Biggs most of the HuRTS boys think I’m talking about Anthony, but the senior members will know whom I’m on about The Great Train Robber Ronnie. Made infamous by his 2.5 million robbery on the train way back in 1963 and then spent close on 40 years as a fugitive living in Rio and I think he even spent some time with Master Sweeney here in Australia at one point. Its believed he got 150 grand for his cut in the raid (about what Mikey keeps as loose change in his astray in his car), not much cash for all that time on the run.
Interesting Fact of the Day, Did you know that Stoke has a link to the robbery (no, it wasn’t my Granddad who stole the cash) but the train driver one Jack Miller who actually died in the raid came from Stoke On Trent …….Well there you go J



Ronnie Biggs in later years, giving his reply when asked by the police 'Where's the cash Ronnie' ?


Is that a Stoke scarf Mr Biggs is wearing ?


Cheers

2 comments:

  1. Glad to hear you are back Timmy. Have a great chrissy and NY and I'll see you raring to go in 2014.
    Warrior Charlie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Young Timmy, I believe Ronnie ran a boarding house in Adelaide. The train driver died 7 years after the robbery possibly as a result of the head injuries he suffered.
    Not sure that Ronnies memory should be cherished but I guess that's the fashion along with the likes of Chopper Read or Ned Kelly

    ReplyDelete