Sunday, January 5, 2014

The Year in Review - 2013

Happy New Year to you all, hope you had a great Xmas break and are gearing for a big year ahead.
I’ve had a nice little break, taking a good 10 days off doing bugger all except eating and drinking far too much and just lazing on the beaches up north  chilling out (getting fat)

Well I suppose I better do my 2013 year in review to finish off a rather forgetful year, Sorry it’s a little late, but to be honest there is not much to write about in terms of success.

January -  Was keen to start the year strong after a disappointing finish to the previous year, but struggled early to overcome existing injuries but it did mean I spent more time on the bike and in the water that saw the swim times improve at least. Having said all that I notice I was still able to knock out 72-74s for the HuRTS 400s towards the end of the month.

February - A good reality check as I turned out for the first Striders race of the series and struggled to get my @r$e around the Homebush course in 38.15 although on the upside it was still enough to see off Elvis the Taxi Man who was shouting from the rooftops that he would smash me before he returned to Irish shores.

March – ‘How low can one go’? was the opening of the blog to start March off with a 42.04 at Striders but in truth I was struggling major with injuries at this point of the year and should have pulled out at the 5k mark but Stubbornness /Stupidity saw me just try to finish the race when I saw the Highnam family on the drinks station. (Although the photos weren’t that flattering)
Had to pull the pin on the big 6ft track race that I had entered as well that saw HuRTS boy Tony Fats take out the tough 46ks off road race.

April – No running and was just forced to concentrate on the swimming although really enjoyed the extra time spent in the water. Started back with some easy runs and even joined the boys again for a few sessions and was surprised when I noticed a certain changing of the guard with No Tucks, Tom struggling, Champagne injured, it meant that Barts was now the new #1, and saw Kenny improve big time, and J-fen & Skippy Heyden hit some form.

May - Saw the State 10k out at Homebush and yet again struggled around with a 37.44 to my name looking like I’d been shot as I crossed the line. The NEW pool opens that then sees all the team continue with the swimming twice a week all throughout the winter months and has coach Pete Walker even set up a monthly 1k time trial.
The big talking point and challenge of the year went out again to the Irish boys for the annual SMH Half Marathon for the Churchill / Sands Cup ………and as usual it was WON for the second year running by team England despite Enda trying every trick in the book to get any decent runner in a Green shirt. I don’t help my teammates though as I struggle with a P.W 86.22

June - Talk started to turn to the first HuRTS overseas trip to Berlin and a night out with the boys was on to discuss all things as many of the lads were already in pretty good form although for me I was still on struggle street. Tough month although it had nothing to do with the training more to following the British Lions around on tour as they overcome the Wallabies.
Angry Boy starts a 5k time trial up at E.S Marks track that I do and happy enough to knock out a 18.12

July - Started to do a few more sessions with the Boys and even did the Harbour 10k race in a respectable 37.23 that saw me gain a little in confidence for a few big months ahead. Managed to do probably my best session of the year down at Rushcutters oval for the Pyramid set and managed to sit just behind the Chairman and Kenny for most of it working around 3.20 pace average.

August – August only means one thing in Sydney and that’s the City to Surf run and a massive turn out from the boys (and girls) for this one with Barts the first home in a fast 46.36 whilst yours truly had to record his slowest time in over 13 years with a 53.47. If the running was struggling though the swimming was on the improve all the time with a 16.44 1k time trial done.

September - Started the month by saying that I was ‘OUT’ of the Berlin trip as the injury was getting the better of me and really resigned myself to not going at all ……….Much to my relief Tommy H had his 40th birthday party around his mansion and after talking to a few of the boys I made the ‘RIGHT’ decision and decided to at least get on the plane.  Then flew out towards the end of the month and what followed over the next 10 days of so was the highlight of the year. The Berlin Marathon was awesome and so happy to see so many of the touring team come back with PBs against there name.

October – Went on the England post Germany and didn’t get back till mid October but decided to test myself out at the Nepean Triathlon out in our glorious west, Pretty happy with how it went with the swim leg and the bike solid although could only run a 40 minute 10k to go with it.

November – First BRAT tri of the year and come 2nd with a 65.31 overall time, , Started to finally get a little consistency going with the training, not missing ANY sessions over a 5 week period (probably for the first time of the year) and felt that I was moving well at last. Had a good night down at the Centennial Park J.P Morgan race as a spectator watching HuRTS #1 girl – Lady Laura take out first prize with a great win.

December – Biathlon time and the challenge went out and every EXCUSE ever known to man came with it as the handicaps were released (mostly from Enda), Champagne Pony Club Low took it out for the win but it was The Champ who took handicap honours. Tommy H beat me to the line with 2 seconds to spare and with it came bragging rights to finish off the year for the Geordie boy.
Had a good months training leading up to the break and hopefully it can carry me forward to a better 2014

Highlights – No many I’m afraid but the Berlin Marathon was SPECIAL, not the running time but the whole trip with the lads, and going on to the Beer Festival just capped it off.  Pretty happy with the way my swimming improved throughout the year and haven’t lost much on the bike, so will look at a few tris in the New Year as well. Best race of the year was probably only a 37.23 Harbour run?

Lowlights – Too many injuries to ever get anything going and at times it felt as if I was fighting a losing battle,  Sad also to see both Slim Sammy Agnew and Tommy H not making it to Berlin with us to mark the occasion but I’m sure there will be many more trips to come for them .

Tomorrow I will gaze through the Crystal Ball and predict some of the things to come for the year ahead.

Cheers

2 comments:

  1. Needn't read the blog with this level of detail in your review mate. Here's hoping for some competitive results in '14.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was amazed you ran Berlin at all after your C2S blowout. Hoping 14 is the year of the Stoke Boys. Ok you at least.

    ReplyDelete