Sunday, February 9, 2014

Bondi Classic Ocean Swim 2ks

Done Sweet F.A all week with no training whatsoever, but was hoping to get out with the guys for a longish run around Centennial Park this morning but that was shelved as I had to work and take a lady cycling down to La Perouse and back that put paid to that idea.
I did however get back to the park by 8am so had the chance to head down to Bondi which was host to the 2k Ocean Swim. First stop though was Enda’s house for a spot of breaky – very nice as well I must say, even had a special jug for the milk, not to mention the top of the range home made jam to go with the toast.
Made our way down and was already having reservations that I would even make the 2k distance with very little swimming of late and that was even before I saw the swell out the back. Met up with Ronan who it seems does these for fun these days and before long both Enda and I were away, struggled early and was forced to have my first stop and nearly fainted when I saw only 7min.20 on the watch. Really had to battle out the back as the furthest buoy seemed to be miles away (not helped by my terrible navigation skills). Even thought for one moment I may need the help of the 12 year old lifesaver on the nearest board.
I finally made it around and seemed to get my second wind as I made my way back to shore. Managed to catch the odd wave or two in that helped and was mighty relieved when my feet touched the ground and I was back on the safety of the hot sand.
Stopped my watch in a less then impressive 41.06, and saw Enda standing nearby holding young Cillian after finishing over a minute ahead in 40.xx minutes. Ronan proved the number 1 though with an impressive 36.20, HuRTS J.C was also there and he flew by me at one point as he knocked out an even more impressive time of 27.49

Finished of a beautiful day down there with a much needed coffee with Pommy Paul & Enda as I recovered form my near death experience, and was then forced to cycle home that saw me do over 65ks for the day in total  J

Will try to kick start my training again this week – it could be ugly YET again

With Niamh & Ronan, Enda, Ronan's folks and kids at the end of the 2ks Ocean Swim at Bondi.


Enda Stankard finishing today's 2ks Ocean swim at Bondi - although to be fair he did beat me :)

Cheers


No comments:

Post a Comment