Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Tempo - Back to Basics

It probably didn’t take a post race chat and breakfast with the Chairman Tommy H after the Striders Race to tell me where perhaps my training was falling down (as Blind Freddie – could see it ) but it’s still good to hear it all the same. I’ve been going OK over the past 6 weeks or so on the shorter 400,800 and even 1k reps but when it comes to the longer stuff then it all goes pear shaped when it comes to the important races.
It’s no secret of the fact that I go missing when the tempo sessions come around , so today despite a constant down pour in the weather and training by myself I was keen to get back to some basics and get the tempo sessions up and running.
I have an 8k loop around the park and after a flat 4k I was all set. My general rule of thumb for tempos is 15 seconds per/k under your 10k race pace and seeing I was only able to run roughly 3.45s on Saturday then anything under 4 min/ks would be acceptable.
Settled early and felt pretty comfortable as I ticked the ks away, the 3rd, 5th and 8th ks are the toughest so was keen to hold the pace when it came to the tougher sections of the park.
The 8 k splits were: 3.55, 3.56, 4.01, 3.58, 4.02, 3.58, 3.56, 3.53
All up 31.44 Average 3.58s

Happy enough with that and will now try to lock a session in like this on a weekly bases from here on in.

Had to go back out in the afternoon with a (faster) client for another 7 ks that included 3 x 2ks reps that he knocked out in 4.15s so all up it was a pretty solid day for me.

Will take it easy now for the rest of the week

Tomorrow with the Football World Cup starting on Friday I will give all my tips and selections on what we can expect over the next 4 weeks.

Cheers

1 comment:

  1. Add 4kms in distance and drop the pace to 3:45's and it'll be a half decent session.

    ReplyDelete