Thursday, July 10, 2014

Gold Coast Half and weekend wrap up.

Felt like crap for 10 days before the half (and still nearly 7 days after) so for perhaps the first time in memory I really wasn’t in the mood for the popular Gold Coast weekend that sees a cast of thousands head north for the 21k and Marathon event.
Flew up on the Saturday and took an early dinner before the 4am start to kick off the big day ahead, A bit of a warm up and then found myself on the start line in the dark standing by Irelands #1 Tri guy PLOD. With a less than impressive start from the starter and we were off, both POD and I remarked how hard everyone went out and I said that it looks like there will be at least 200 people breaking 70 minutes with the way everyone took out the first 1k.
Not sure about the first couple of ks time wise but felt I was moving OK going through 5ks in around 18.52 (3.46s), Took the little left turn section but as soon as I got back on the outward road I felt as I was struggling – and it was only 6.5ks in. Within the space of 1500m I was struggling to run even 4 min/ks as Jeet was the first to fly by. I was then left with the indignity of a walk at 8ks as Elle also came by looking in good form. I think Birchy was next and in fairness he tried to lift me and told me to run with him for a while but at this point I was all but ready to turnaround and walk off (and cry). Managed to lump my sorry @r$e to the halfway mark with countless amounts of walking and shuffling although I was enjoying the views of a spectacular morning the Coast was offering.
On the 14k mark ‘Corky O’Conner was having the race of her life and flew past on a way to a certain sub 90 minutes, whilst at the 15k I was then joined by ‘Sultry Sonya’ and her pacer John Fenton. I thought ‘perfect’ I’ll just bring it home with Son, and ticked the ks off after that, Got to the 18k mark and despite Sonya holding her pace (for a sub 90) I somehow just got a bit of kick going and went ahead to try to help Corky finish off her race. I was only working around the 4.15 mark but the way I felt It seemed like 3.30s. Got a bit of a buzz from the big crowds over the last 1k or so but to be honest the finish line couldn’t come fast enough as I crossed the line in 88.55
Very disappointed in truth but there really was not a lot I could do about it, in hindsight probably shouldn’t have run but those that know me know that’s not really my style, Knew I was in strife when I was running at one point and nearly run in the back of a parked car out on the course as my head was all over the place.
Despite my less than impressive display, Once more the same CAN’T be said for the rest of the gang, Some bloody brilliant times from everyone with another batch of PBs added throughout.
Probably top of the list we should salute good friend Enda Stankard on his 2.38 Marathon time, unbelievable and it was nice to see all the good training over the past 6 months or so paying off. I saw him at 30ks and he was looking good and delighted he was able to finish it off even stronger and more importantly that he now has managed to be able to boast that he is now the fastest member of the Stankard family after talking his Aunt’s PB ( we won’t mention that his Aunty Edith Stankard run her 42k carrying 50lb potatoes over 78 acres in gumboots over fields). Other considerable mentions must go to fellow Irishman POD who run 75 for the half ( taking $50 from me in the process – smashing my PB), Corky O’Conner broke her PB by nearly 5 mins, Birchy’s great race, and Jeet’s 80 minutes, as well as the above mentioned Sonya’s sub 90 minutes.
I know there are many more but I can’t recall at the moment – so apologies if I overlooked any fine achievement.

The afternoon session took place in the Surf Club with C.T out to redeem himself after his shocker in Munich, he looked in good form early as the team settled in for a big day, I think he was just running on adrenaline on the thought of him WINNING HIS FIRST EVER BET (yes, it had to be me didn’t it? after giving me 8.5 mins start), If Enda’s run was near Performance of the Day, then on the social side it was surely the WORST of the Day as whilst the rest of us were drinking he was spotted around Cavill Avenue and ‘Pacific Fair’ shopping centre buying up tactless presents that included a ‘ Kiss me Quick, Squeeze me tight Hat’ for his coach. Poor C.T was talking Swahili by the Enda did arrive around 5pm – poor form.
If that wasn’t bad enough they then decided to play ‘Master Chef’ and head out for a night of fine dining for a few hours whilst the true hardcore continued into the night.
Special mention also to Renaud (Allo Allo) who celebrated in fine style after taking out the 2.5k race and enjoyed his winnings in the surf club tucking in to his 5 litre tub of Ice cream.

Overall a good weekend, although my sickness and travelling partners Sharonne injury at the 18k mark of the marathon that resulted in her fracturing her leg and getting a free lift to the hospital at the 18k mark marred what is generally considered one of the better weekends away

On the betting front – had another shocker (2nd on the spin now ) PLOD took great delight in taking $50 from me, Jeet put me through the cleaners for $20, and C.T took plenty of beer from me. Special Kudo’s must go to Pommy Paulie Birch (Birchy) who I had $20 with and agreed to give him a 2 minute buffer. In true English Gentlemen’s style he REFUSED to take my cash saying that ‘It wasn’t fair due to my sickness’ and wouldn’t be happy taking it  suggesting then we hold the bet over till the next race – (Wonder if Enda would ever do that ?? Yeah right)


So it’s been nearly a week since the race and I’m still not right , I have taken the week off from all running and have found it hard just to remove myself from the house at times. It’s only 4 weeks till the biggest race of the year – City to Surf, so I really want to get back amongst it next week.

In the World Cup , the final awaits Germany and Argentina on Monday morning, it’s been brilliant so far with Germany’s win over a very poor Brazilian team on Wednesday  that took some believing with 5 goals in the first 29 minutes. I’ve said Brazil were ordinary the whole tournament and with the players of the caliber of Fred, Joe, Bernard and Hulk  who wouldn’t get a game in the Championship I was surprised they even got that far.  You watch, Toms Newcastle will be lining up to pay $40 million for Fred before the season starts in 4 weeks J
My tip from the start – Argentina are another team that hasn’t really impressed but keep doing enough and although the Germans are on fire (aren’t they always) I’m going to go against the grain and stay with the Argies for the victory and take out the big one come Monday.

Timmy’s Tip
Argentina 2 vs. Germany 1 (AET)


Enda powers ahead at the 30k mark, actually think the HuRTS support carried him for about 50 metres at this point.



And the secret to Enda's run .......Its all in the singlet.



Despite having T.Bell for pacing it wasn't enough to get Angus Boyd over the line for a sub 3 hours - good run all the same mate - well done.



Whilst the rest enjoyed beers & wine , Renaud was to enjoy his winnings that came with the 2.5k race - stuffing his face for the afternoon on Ice Cream...........Shameful

Have a great weekend
Cheers

No comments:

Post a Comment