Monday, August 25, 2014

45 Minute Progressive Tempo

Shocker of a day again in Sydney as I rocked up to the Stone Gates for the HuRTS Progressive Tempo session that sees us kick the pace down every 10 minutes  and then one final time for the last 5 minutes for the 45 minute session.
Decent crowd and good to see the return of Barts after his recent bout of Swine Flu, and also ‘Corky’ O’Conner from her honeymoon that seems to have lasted about 8 months (some aren’t even married for that long)
Tough set this one so important to get your starting point right – so decided beforehand to start around 4.06s, meaning I would hopefully kick it down to 3.56/3.46/3.36 and then 3.31 for the final 5 mins.
Went out with North Shore’s Jamie Stewart and had a good chat along the way, going through the first 10 mins pretty much on target at 4.07s with the front group not that far ahead working around 4 min/ks. Continued the chat coming around the O.H and Passenger Terminal before Jamie just kicked on a little faster on the 3rd rep. Turned for home at 23.15 getting to the last bridge on Hickson road and then reeled in the massive group Mickey was leading around (again). Jeez, he’s getting like the bloody ‘Pied Piper’ these days with about 30 cruising around with him. I thought they were going to get the tea out when I come past just coming back into the Opera House gates. Saw Taffy struggling along as well, just as Jamie was coming back past me on the return leg.
I thought I was travelling OK on the 4th 10 minute effort but my watch told me otherwise and then just as the watch clicked on 40 minutes I found myself on the hill right outside the A.B.C  Pool when I was supposed to pick the pace up for one final effort.
To be honest I had nothing over the final 5 minutes and even Mikey came flying past (minus his followers), although I knew I’d still make it back to the gates within the allocated 45 minutes frame.
If you do this session right I don’t think there would be many (if any) that could kick it down over the final 5 minutes especially coming back up the hills?
A bit disappointed with the finish yet again as would have liked to have done better on the final 10 minutes or so.
Pace for each 10 and final 5 minutes were:
4.07, 3.56, 3.54, 3.42 & 3.58
11.6ks all up in 44.40 average pace 3.53s

So North Head Striders is Saturday week and although after Gold Coast I said I wasn’t going to have anymore bets until I found some form – I have relented and gone against my better judgment. Many are lining up to take the Timmy dollars once again and the following have been laid;

vs. Tommy H, with a +4.20 handicap (will be close as it always is)
vs. Enda           with a  +4.00 handicap (hoping this will be enough, especially with him having a sniffle over the past week or so)
vs. Taffy          with a  +12 second handicap ( he’s getting brave after his recent TWO wins on the bush trails, even giving me 12 seconds?)
vs. Cement   with a   - 30 second handicap (me giving him a start can you believe……. I must be mad)


All for a friendly $20 – others on request.

Whinge of the Day. Forgot to mention today that Pommy Paul Birchy rocked up all angry that it was raining again for the 10th day straight and playing murder with his recent NEW hairdo and was bemoaning the fact he had forgot his HAT. I think it may be time to shell out another $225 to go see his mate Rupert On Oxford St once again?


Will try to get out in the morning and check out the BRAT Hardmen and see how Cement Hanley is going along and see if he’ll take pity on me and go of scratch for North Head ???

Cheers

No comments:

Post a Comment