Thursday, August 21, 2014

HuRTS 3 x 2k Reps (2 mins Rec)

Seems like a long time since I’ve done this session that was the 3 x 2k reps and boy had I forgot how tough they were. Rocked up early to have a chat with Erika Ekland who told me all about the North Side Sunday runs with Macca and the boys and that I should join them (think she only invited me because I’m slow and she may then have someone to run with)
It’s been a shocker of a week weather wise in Sydney all week when I’ve gone into town but we’ve been lucky when decent breaks has occurred and today was the same. Got promoted into the second group today alongside Macca, Skippy Heyden, Mullo’s Mullaney, Angus and a few others who I still don’t know(?). As is always the case felt good early and was moving OK just tucked in behind the two faster boys Macca  & Skippy and stopped the watch in 6.55. Thought it was perhaps a tad fast but with a  new burst of confidence showing I figured I might give it a go today and see how long I could ‘hang in’ for?
The lads got the break on me after about 500m on the second but was still holding time meaning they must have put the foot down, as I still rolled around back to the passenger terminal start/finish area in 6.56
The third rep was always going to be the test and found it a battle hanging on to Angus (who is running well) under the bridge at 500m , he got the gap on me at the kilometre marker and with the head wind coming up Hickson Road I wasn’t ever able to reduce it back with him perhaps 25m ahead. Crossed in 7.06 (3.33 pace) with it then taking me a further 2 minutes to get sufficient recovery into me before I was able to communicate with anyone.
Disappointed with not been able to dip under the 7.00 minutes on the final rep, although my first two reps show signs that some form is coming back so I shouldn’t get too downcast and I’m certainly feeling better throughout sessions than I have for some time now.
Good recovery back to the start line and then back up to the Art Gallery for 11ks all in. Had a good chat with the Chairman who has wagered a bet with me for Striders North Head –Reckons he can put more than 4.20 into me covering the handicap. Always close bets between us and I’m thinking if Tommy H can run 33.15, it then means I’ve got to get home in 37.35…… Let’s See ?
That one will be too close to call although I’m more than confident I can cover the 4 minutes our Mad Irishman Enda has given me for the same race, as we mentioned he’s in China at the moment and coming out with every excuse in the book. Even Tom told him to shut up and Man Up this morning and have some respect for himself (I’m sure it will only fall on death ears)
Rest day tomorrow, will have a trot on Saturday and then must see where Erika Elkand wants to start her Sunday run for the weekend?

Cheers

1 comment:

  1. You can see Timmy is brimming with confidence by the way he is updating his blog everyday and challenging me to ridiculous bets. I suppose it is to be expected and about time give he trains full time. I will be doing a Mikey and just jogging for the rest of the year with no racing. I still expect Timmy to completely flop and underperform as usual when the races come around however....

    ReplyDelete