Saturday, August 23, 2014

Sunday Long Run with Colour (and Sickness)

 A late Saturday night, and after a few beers watching the ‘Wobblies’ get smashed (yet again) with Lovely Lisa (L.L), Taffy, Olivia & Sam followed by the radio gig then finally watching a bit of English footy it was up early to meet the guys for the long Sunday run in Centennial Park.
Rolled up at 6.30am to see a decent size team with Pommy Paul, Dr Skins (or is it Ant?), Eloise,, C,T,  Sweaty Sock (Craig), Renaud, Damo, Hi-Ho (Michael Ho) returning from Perth with a 2.35 Marathon to his name and prodigal son Enda Stankard fresh from his latest China trip.
Had to wait around 5 minutes whilst Enda dished his supply of drugs out to Pommy Paul, I’m not educated enough to know what exactly it was but it left Birchy full of smiles.
A 6k loop first up and the pace was on from the start at sub 4.30 pace, before we went out to do the normal 10k outside loop, And couldn’t believe the pace picked up further, and about 7ks into it I looked and saw we were travelling at 4.26s and I was towards the back of the pack and getting dropped. Bid Enda a farewell at this point – he was carrying on all morning about this so called cold he has, Must have told everyone about 1500 times to be honest and its little more than a head cold. Still, pleased to report he managed to get back for the start for the ‘5k Colour Run’ that was about to begin and he managed a creditable 10th spot overall (just beating good mate Renaud)
I had an impromptu toilet break at 15ks and really struggled to get going after that , I don’t really like the inner fence of the outer park we do with too many uneven spots and plenty of tree roots around and it was here the gang really did drop me big time. Managed to get myself back running solo to the cafe then decided to do another flat lap of the park although the park was packed at this time with about 20’000 other colourful people floating around.
 2hrs;05;16 all up for 27.6ks average pace 4.33s – certainly didn’t finish off as strong as I would have liked but I was very tired and with a big week behind me and with only 4.5 hours sleep I’ll take that.

Bit concerned today with the way the group was splitting up, with many going at a faster pace then what many can handle, especially when we are doing 30ks plus.  For some sub 4.30s are easy but for many others it’s not and I hope we don’t get breakaway groups within the Sunday long runs (that’s not what they are about)

Will take a rest day tomorrow, although Mikey has promised me he will take me on one of these bike sessions that he is doing indoors so I might sound him out about that as a means of a recovery?

Congrats to my mate Taffy James who took out YET another win on Saturday, yet again he travels far and wide to win these races that nobody has ever heard of …. But still, you can only beat what’s in front of you, and on that score I’m surprised Enda wasn’t lining up as well.

Just out for a few beers with Taffy and Pommy Paulie Birch now so I’ll get the full story – I have managed to score a winning photo of the main man giving out his winning speech.
Reporter. “So James, just how far will you go out of town to win these little bush tucker races”
Taffy “ Wherever it takes,”
Reporter “ 5 ? 6 ? hours “
Taffy “24 – think my name is already on the shortlist for HuRTS performer of the year after this”
Reporter “ Well done, and where did you learn to run trails like that?”
Taffy “ I’ve run many a paddock on my day – chasing my girlfriend daisy and now it’s all paying off”


Back out on Tuesday with the HuRTs boys.



"Just like to thank the HuRTS boys for NOT following me the 9 hours to the bush in order that i can get the win and also to the girl in 2nd spot who decided not to kick for home and took pity on me"
Well done Taffy Lad, now on the shortlist for 'Performer of the Year' for sure :)


Cheers

No comments:

Post a Comment