Tuesday, September 30, 2014

...and then it got even HOTTER.

If yesterday was Hot then today it was even hotter for the 8 x 5 minute session around Farm Cove, Despite the heat there was a massive showing from the team and once everyone had the instructions from Mikey to reduce their pace to accommodate the conditions we were off and running.
Took Mikeys advice and settled running with Clarkey and Macca for the first rep and went through 1k in 3.36 (as about all 5 watches beeped in sync around me) only for Mikey to call out some 40 mtrs behind me  ‘Too fast Timmy, that was a 3.24 (?) ….Told you his watch was faulty.
Got to 1.4ks averaging 3.38s in the end and made it back even quicker on the faster return in 3.32s. The heat was already taking its toll though with water bottles flying everywhere and left Enda foaming at the mouth.
Pretty much held a solid pace throughout the set but by the 5th rep I was starting to feel the pace and made the call to get back for the 6th and that would be me done for the day.  Would have preferred to do the whole 8 but thought it may have done more harm than good to be honest and didn’t want to drain the legs completely.
Pace for the 6 reps were: 3.38, 3.32, 3.35, 3.35, 3.39, 3.35


By cutting short I then had the luxury of a long cool down with ‘Mum to be’ Elle and Sonya knocking out another 3ks –but I was even struggling to stay with Elle by this part J

I believe the boys all jumped in the Harbour once done for a cool down, that I missed out on. A great way to finish the session off but I do worry when they do that, Especially for Tom as I’ve told him many times not to get into the water without his arm bands, or if he does then please stay close to Pete Walker.

Out again this morning (Wednesday) for some easy ks, and caught up with old training partner Sharonne for 10ks, Saw Birchy getting his last runs in and saw the ‘Wildman’ Stevie T in full flight getting his reps done in time for Saturdays big ‘Head to Head’ with the ‘Chairman at Homebush.
As many of you know, I’m a big Tommy H fan and there is NO better racer in the squad then the ‘Geordie Boy’ But I think he’s bitten of more than he can chew on this one. Stevie is on the comeback trail and looking good – after all he is ‘HuRTS’ fastest man (with a 30 minute 10k to his name) and I’m tipping he will relieve some of the Chairman’s money come Saturday.
Mind you I plan to do the same – 3.55 is the difference between us and I’ll be looking at running 36.55 – means he will have to break 33 to take the dosh.
I hope he’s in a better mood come Saturday, Jeez he was a soppy old git yesterday, due to his Newcastle team failing to beat the mighty Potters overnight. Never came near me all day, told him not to be too upset as better teams come to Stoke and still go home empty handed as well J

A couple of easy and rest days here on in till the weekend, with Striders Saturday and a final 20k on the Sunday.

Cheers



No comments:

Post a Comment