Thursday, September 11, 2014

Hills and Tempo Combo Set.

Thursday.
Big showing for the NEW Timmy Combo set that has been drawn up for the HuRTS session that includes 20 minutes of hill repeats followed by a 5k tempo run around the domain. All the regulars there including the ‘Ebola Twins – Stankard and Bartlett after the killer swine flu both have had to deal with.
Marked out a 150m hill that was going to take roughly 1 min 10 to complete that meant around 18 -19 repeats, Started off strong but was already feeling the pace and I was only on 5 minutes, was working OK and managed to hold form and was pleased that  nobody came  past me at any stage apart from Todd who was looking very strong. Was very conscious of keeping the pace honest on the downhill as well, although the frontrunners of Tom, Crossy and Barts all lapped me around the 15 minute mark of the session. Was absolutely buggered by the 20 minute mark and was dreading the next 5ks that was to come.
Had 3 groups for the tempo session setting off with a  4 min, 3.45 and a 3.30 pace. Went with the second alongside Mikey, Enda, Razor, Macca and Taffy and settled OK despite the legs feeling very heavy. Ran the first 1k in 3.40 having to carry Enda on my shoulders the whole way, Struggled a bit on the uphill section but was bang on the 3.45 pace coming through the 3k mark before Enda just opened up the gap on me. Coming around by the A.B.C Pool on the second lap I see Mikey and Warrior Charlie having a good chat walking back – done for the day, although there wasn’t much left in my tank at that stage either. The final hill just before the expressway destroyed me and when the Taffy Lad came past it was all too much for me and I gave in and was reduced to a 20 second walk to conquer the last climb. Barely got back to the Stone Gates as my time drifted out to 3.51s for the 4.8ks.
Wrecked at the end, it really is one of the hardest sessions on the calendar and doing the tempo after the hills on heavy legs is a real test.

HuRTS boys and girls were back out on the social scene last night, care of  chairman Tom Highnam, Renaud, and Sonya’s birthday. Good turnout with all the old regulars out, and nice to see Laura back with us, and new mum Mermaid Emma. Even Kanser was out with many making mention that he is now the size of a house. (Enda said he must be 94 kilos, which I found a bit harsh?). Plenty of drink was drunk over the course of the evening and it was no surprise then when Tommy H was assisted out the bar into a nearby taxi and sent home. I think in future I may as well just pre book his taxi for 10pm. Other news, Taffy was on his best behavior as his sister is in town, Birchy went home early, Sonya and the girls had the biggest cocktail glass on the planet, Enda still has a cold and poor Elle nearly overdosed on Lemon Lime and Bitters. I helped put Tommy H in the cab and then was refused entry back in the joint by some meathead guerilla on the door brought an end to my evening.
Cracker of a night – as it always is when we hit the town.
Laid a couple of bets throughout the night with even Fats opening an account and coming on board for the next Striders 10k at Homebush
They were; 
$20 with Tommy H - + 4 minutes
$20 although its double of nothing with Enda Stankard  - +3.30
$50 with Fats - +2 minutes (it was 90 before I realized the error of my ways ), and if I lose I also have to skull one of Tony’s home brewed Bender Enda drink that would strip paint.

Friday.
Bad start to the day as woke with a massive hangover before heading into town and returned to the pool for the first time of the season. Coach Walker, The Champ, Taffy, Brendan, Super Kev and the Leech also was back on deck.
Session was 6 x 200 and 8 x 100, basically struggled all the way through and happy just to sit on the Taffy lads feet for each set. Had a choice of a lunch or swim and after about 250m I knew I had made the wrong decision. Times weren’t as bad as I thought though with each 200 around the 3.23 mark.
Need to get back in the pool twice a week now that the warmer weather is coming.

A few pics from the HuRTS social evening.


Sonya with the World's Biggest Glass...... She was on fire last night - knocking over about 6 of them.


The team love a night out, seen here with John, Taffy Lad,Tommy H, Barts and Fats.



"Timmy, can you start to call that taxi for me"



A Rose & a Drunk in between two thorns - with Fats, Tommy H, Sonya and the Taffy Lad.



Seriously - how drunk was the Chairman? Think Mikey needs to have a word.

Alongside side Irelands #1 and toughest bloke around Macca, with Irelands softest
Got a little angry when Enda asked me if i borrowed my shirt from Warrior Charlie? Told me then it was 4 sizes to BIG for me :)

Have a great weekend
Train well
Cheers

No comments:

Post a Comment