Sunday, September 28, 2014

Sunday Long Run and weekend Wrap

Saturday.
Went into Centennial Park early with every intention of doing a 5k hard session to see where I was at with  my training but upon arrival  caught up with C.T and his Melbourne Marathon students  – Pommy Birchy, Sonya and the ‘Skinny Doctor Ant who were out to do 2 x flat loops at pace.
After a couple of ks warm up I then decided to join their  session instead and we were soon away. C.T of course was fast away and soon out of sight whilst I also went through the first k way to fast in 3.24 Backed off after that before feeling the pace as usual around the tougher climb around Fox Studio gates and tried to lift for the final 700m or so to get back to the café in 13.15 (3.36 pace)
The guys weren’t far behind and after a 3 minute recovery it was away again for the 2nd effort – made a conscious effort to go out slower and keep it more consistent throughout and went through the first k in 3.35 that felt loads better. Still felt shocking at the Fox gates and was happy to get back only losing about 13 seconds on the first rep in 13.28 (3.39 pace)
Solid running from the others as well with The Doc getting quicker on his 2nd rep and Birchy & Sonya only losing a couple of seconds at most with me the furthest out with my 13 seconds.
Good tough session that I wasn’t really expecting, and the coffee and the banter after was even better especially when I had an old client come up to me for a chat and asked me what I had coming up in terms of races
Me: going to head to do the Melbourne Marathon in two weeks
Her: Oh Ok , where is that on at ?

Sunday .
After another late night on Saturday spent on the radio then a bit of English footy, it was back out for yet another Sunday long run and was greeted at 6.30am by C.T, Birchy, Jeet, Sam,  Sonya. Shire’s #12 Damo Bray and nice to see Enda back after another bout of ‘Ebola flu. Normal 6k starter loop to begin that passed in no time in 27.45 mins before the first 10k loop in and around the park working around the 4.39 pace to return in 45.49.
With 16ks done I was then keen to do another 10k loop at marathon pace, unfortunately no one else was keen so I was then forced to persuade Enda to at least do a flat loop (3.7k) with me at sub 4min/k pace.  Fair play to him for agreeing and I was very happy to be running at 3.57 pace and still holding a conversation to return to the café in 14.29 feeling pretty strong.
Bid a farewell to him at this stage as he then had to go and pick up his spanking NEW BMW motor that he’s purchased as I was then forced to go again and do another loop solo. Had intended to run it more at the (hopefully) marathon pace of 4.09s but was still feeling OK so just went with it and by pure coincidence I returned to the café in exactly the same time of 14.29 ……although I must admit to having to work harder to get it.
A further 700m to round out 24ks for the day in 1hr45 mins all up average pace 4.26s and I was done.
Plan was to do 26 for the day but that was with the 10k pace at marathon to finish but I only did closer to 8, still a pretty good weekend all up and have certainly gained some confidence from the past two days.  Is it enough to get within the following laid bets for Melbourne? I’m not sure but at least I can go in competitive for once J
C.T agreed to give me +20 mins
Jeet agreed to give me  +3 mins
Birchy agreed to give me 90 seconds
Sonya I have to give her 10 minutes

Plenty of bets laid then over the course of Striders and Melbourne – let’s hope I can deliver or else I ma y be forced to go with my cap in hand to Mikey for a sub or two.


Absolutely stunning morning in the park once more today, and YET again the gang were on fire with most if not all hitting over 30ks again with only two weeks remaining before the big dance.

Once all done whilst some of us headed for a morning coffee, a dip in the ocean or just a nice relaxing day. It all seems to be getting to Pommy Paul, who seems to be getting all ‘Clyde like ‘ and is in need of his angry pills. Even getting upset that someone talks to much in the group whilst running? Anyway as a means to calm him down we sent him to his favorite post run training salon in Double Bay to visit his mate Rupert – see below

Rest day tomorrow , but may hit the pool for a swim as the weather is supposed to be mid to high 20s (check Flakes blog for full details)



Birchy all happy again :)

Cheers

No comments:

Post a Comment