Saturday, October 4, 2014

Striders 10k Homebush 37.15

Snagged a lift from neighbour Stevie ‘Wildman’ Thurston out to Homebush for the 9th Striders 10k race and he was like a cat on a hot tin roof constantly asking (certainly NOT worried) wondering if the Chairman Tommy H would rock up seeing that they had staked a bet and Stevie was certainly keen for a collect today.
Perfect morning for a run early doors and a decent turnout was on show with the North Shore boys well represented when about a dozen of them jumped out from the ‘Highnam Hilux’ bus including Macca, Dickie Green, Justin, Benny Boy, Craig Mac and a host of others.
Usual banter on the start line and we are off, settled OK and  went through the first k too fast (as normal) in 3.27 alongside Macca and Justin. Had a bit of a chat with Macca who tells me he is out to run 36.40 ( 3.40 pace) in preparation for next week’s Melbourne Marathon so I think ‘Beauty’ I’ll sit with him for the next 30 odd minutes.
Worked well as we past Benny Boy (who went out far too hard) at about 2.5ks and we soon came around for the first loop in good time of 18.15 .
No sooner had we come out the car park for the second time and I felt the temps or more precise the humidity rise big time and my pace dropped dramatically once the 6k went by.  The boys gapped me at this point of the race and was surprised then when Skippy Heyden joined me at 7k. Many a negative thought went through my head as I battled along the back path and around the common but was happy to hang in without anyone apart from Skippy actually coming past me at any stage.
Crossed the line in 37.15 – once again slightly disappointed with the overall time as I thought I was on for a 36.40 even at the 6k mark of the race, but faded and lost about 30-40 seconds from there on. Still I think everyone was battling to hold on at that stage as it was that kind of day and the fact nobody overtook me was pleasing.
Just checked my splits and they were:
3.27, 3.40, 3.33, 3.37, 3.45, 3.36, 3.46, 3.47, 3.43, 3.44

So a decent final hit out 8 days out from Melbourne and now will rest up and take it easy till then. Have an easy 20ks tomorrow that should feel like a walk in the park after all the 30k plus runs over the past 2 months.

Results,


Congratulations to Stevie T who took out the overall win today – the man is all class, and goes without saying he took Toms cash in the process, and gets the ‘Timmy run of the Day for his efforts.
Talking spondoolies, you’ll be pleased to see ‘Young Timmy’ can eat this week when he cleaned up on EVERY bet laid for the race. Don’t actually like winning by default ( a NO SHOW) ..but its Tommy H’s rule and who am I to argue? So the winning bets were,
Tommy H $20 He gave me a 3.55 start – won with 10 seconds to spare (he run 33.31)
Enda S       $20 He gave me a 3.00 start – won with 60 seconds to spare (He run 35.16)
Kanser      $20 I gave him a 45 second buffer – he was a N/S
Fats           $50 He gave me 2.00 mins start – he was a N/S
Cement   $20 I gave him a 75 second buffer – he was a N/S ( but agreed to roll it till November –that’s the type of guy I am )

Big night tonight in the footy, Stoke travel north to Sunderland,
Timmy’s Tip – take the draw 2-2

A few photos from this morning
Cheers


Just about to cross the line at the 10k mark - not pretty.


More hills - who said this course was flat - just coming back up to the bus lane.



Enda "Oh NO not again, i've lost another $20 in losing bets to Timmy"



L-R, Stevie T, Enda, A.N.Other, Macca, Craig, Tommy H, Justin, Dickie and Benny Boy.



With HuRTS #1 Female, Renee, North Shores #1 Tommy H, Eastside #1 Timmy and a homeless shirtless guy - not really sure where he fits in?



Happy Couple - HuRTS #1 Female Renee with 'Kenny.



The North Shore Mafia - Dickie Green in good form, Justin very solid although Benny Boy (even with his black socks) blew a gasket at 2.5ks

Cheers

1 comment:

  1. Good run Tim, it was bloody hard work that last 5k! I think I lost half my body weight out there by the looks of these pics..... even Tom and Dicky appear to have a few kg's on me! Need to stop running and start eating...... will do Sunday lunchtime next weekend. Good luck in Melbourne.

    ReplyDelete