Thursday, November 6, 2014

A.B.C Biathlon 19.15

Easy 8ks on the Wednesday morning (mostly spent trying to find Sonya who was also in there somewhere?) and then took the rest of the day as a recovery.
Thursday.
Morning spent working at the Prince Alfred Pool (PAP) and took the opportunity to take a dip once all done, although Taffy let me down as he promised he would come down? , pretty easy to be honest and did 1600m all up.
Had the chance in the evening to head to the A.B.C and to sneak in a cheeky Biathlon with friend Sharonne. Smaller turnout than normal although the guy that won the previous week and stuck close to Tom was on the starting block so I knew the winner before the off. Only two faces I knew were a mate of MrAce who has been attending the HuRTS swim squad Kirk, and seeing he’s a better swimmer then me I knew I would have to stay ahead on the run leg, and Adrian McGarva who runs AND swims better than I do.
Mad start as normal and found myself in with a group of about 10 for the first 800m or so, before breaking away from a few as you come past the pool start at the 1k mark.  Struggled on the uphill 2nd k but felt I was moving well and surprised myself to get to the turnaround in 6.57 (same as last week) and ahead of Adrian in 3rd position.
As always the return is quicker  and I made a big effort to up the pace, and in doing so I managed to reel in the 2nd guy with about 1k to go . Saw Adrian come up to me and actually went past at one stage but I kicked it down more and was happy to get to the timekeeper on the gate still in 2nd spot  in 13.45
Still not the best transition although it was far better than last week’s pathetic effort and was in the water not long after MacGyver (Garva), the breathing was better and even though not moving fast I was happy with my swim leg. Had about 3-4 guys come past me around the 225 – 250 mark but kept MacGyver in my sight for the whole way touching out in 19.15 (20 seconds better than a fortnight back)
Happy with that, and if I can just improve the swim leg and sort those transitions out then surely a sub 19 minute is possibly? If so then Tommy H had better watch out come the rematch on the 12th December J

Delighted to see Sharonne take out the women’s race coming in on 22.00, and she will only improve more once she gets her stronger run leg in order following her nasty injury from the Gold Coast in July.
Evening complete then when for the first time in about 8 seasons I actually won something in the raffle that follows – a pair of swimming goggles ……….Perfect, that’s guaranteed to make up those 15 seconds come the next race.
A few bevies in the Woolloomooloo Bay Hotel to finish off a satisfactory day – Happy Days.

Cheers

No comments:

Post a Comment