Wednesday, November 12, 2014

J P Morgan C.C - 19.34

One of the biggest races of the year (alongside City to Surf and SMH Half) and it meant ALL the HuRTS boys and girls came out to play for the tough 5.6k J.P Morgan race around Centennial Park.
Everyone, and I mean everyone was in attendance including the Irish boys in force Kanser, The Irish Assassin (Eamo), The Leech, Enda and the toughest of them all (and still #1 Irishman) Macca McClarnon, all the girls , Laura, Sonya, Erika, Elle, Olivia and #1 Renee, then all the old brigade and usual suspects, but unfortunately both Muzza and Pete Walker were ruled out with late injuries L
Part of this race being so good is the banter and pre race warm up I find not to mention the tension before we hit the start line. I place myself on the  front row alongside Enda and welcome back Laura in her first race since her long layoff.
Gun goes and it’s the mad frantic pace for the first 350, before the dreaded climb up to Paddo Gates, sit in with Mikey and The Italian Stallion Durante trying to keep the breathing in check as we go. First kilometre down in 3.28 and then settle, the 2nd isn’t as easy as it should be as it’s a gentle climb up to the Woollahra Gates before a nice 700m when we start to open it up. Make a big effort on the downhill and go past a few but was surprised how easy Chopsticks (Russell ) fly’s past me.
Keep the pace honest around the 3k mark and get a ‘C’mon Lindop’ from ‘Renaud as he goes past, started to feel the pace drop slightly around the 4k area and just before the Fox Gates I thought I was gone for all money, But I’d told myself pre race that I needed to ‘Man Up’ when the going got tough and when Laura came up to me at 4.5ks into the race it was the lift I needed and gave me the  jolt I was after. I think she actually went ahead at one stage but I was determined to hang in and just before the Dickens Ave right turnoff I somehow found a little burst and got away from her.  I run this course everyday but I can honestly say that I’ve never found the cafĂ© so far away once you hit Dickens Ave. Finally you come past it and can see the finish line but it’s still close on 400m to go and I try to kick it down one final time as I come onto the grass area. With any kind of form gone out the window I cross the line in 19.34 looking as if I’ve lugged a Grand Piano around for 5.6ks .
Pretty happy with that time all up – I had penciled in a 19.30 (3.30 pace) so wasn’t far from it, Kilometre 4 to 5 was the killer and saw time drift but pleased I didn’t throw in the towel and saw the race out
K splits were.  3.28, 3.27, 3.24, 3.36, 3.42, 1.54 (last 600)

Once I’d recovered a good night was just about to get a whole lot better when results from the team started to filter through, Fastest of the night was from ‘Wildman’ Stevie T – absolutely amazing to finish 3rd overall behind Dent and Hunt in 16.35,  great runs from Quentin, Barts, C.T and Crossy Lad all getting in the Top 10. Many a PB was run and congrats to Warrior Charlie and Erika Ekland on theirs (sure there were many more as well).
But the Timmy Run of the Day AGAIN (and this is getting a little laborious now) was ‘The Chairman’ Tommy Highnams 4th placing in 17.05 to finish off the year as HuRTS #1 . A cracker of a year from the Geordie Boy and I think he may have run PBs in every distance over the past 12 months?


On the betting stakes – not much damage done , I run what was expected but Tommy PBed to smash me by way over the 2 mins, Durante beat me by 37 ( had 20 seconds) and Jeet just covered the 15 on me by a mere 2 seconds (like Tom you always get a very fair bet with Jeet)
On the plus side I’ll take Kanser’s and Taffy’s dosh – although I suspect they will both get a lot stronger so I best make the most of it now.

Just when the day couldn’t get better it was over to Allen’s tent once again for what the HuRTS boys and girls do best. Good showing as well with everyone in fine form , The ‘Perpetual Pests’ Durante and Wildman were starting to get into old ways before we ventured up to Oxford St, whilst Sonya was doing her best ‘Absolutely Fabulous’ Patsy impression with a bottle of ‘Bolly’ tucked under her arm all the way.
Things started to get messy around 11ish when the first of the shots were lined up on the bar, and after that it becomes a little hazy.

Cracking day and evening all round and many thanks to Tom for hosting us all once again. Best part of it …. We get to do it all again next Thursday at the presentation evening in the Tilbury Hotel

A few photos from last night.

Battling it out with Lady Laura , and yes i did get the better of her on this occassion .... just :)


Some of the team post race , Jeet, Greta & C.T, Erika, Tom, Laura, Timmy, Clarkey and Macca.



Enda finally getting one over his running nemesis Elle alongside Erika and Niamh



Taffy Lad, settles his bets early after a beating.



Good to see Kanser and Billy Batt back out running , enjoying the drinks with Tom and I.


I do worry about these two when the drinks start to flow – ‘The Pests’ Durante and Wildman’ start to show a little man love


Its starting to get late, dont believe me ? 'look into my eyes'



The last photo of the evening and probably the last thing I saw last night before the alarm was nearly chucked on the street at 5am today.  The shots destroyed me J


Cheers
 

2 comments:

  1. I don't believe tom has run a marathon pb in the past 12 months....

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was July last year at Gold Coast Enda. Good run Timmy. Thought you looked gone with the head back after Robertson Rd gates but you managed to hang on. Well done mate.

    ReplyDelete