Saturday, November 1, 2014

Lane Cove Striders 10k - 38.30 ...Part 1

Rocked up to Lane Cove for the final race in the Striders series feeling pretty upbeat after a decent few weeks training, that confidence was short lived though when driving over I noticed it already 26 degrees by 6AM so knew it was going to be a tough morning ahead.
Great HuRTS crew on show again and did the warm up alongside Erika, Birchy, Tom, Macca, Barts, Quentin, Enda, Krone, Benny Boy, Fats and making his first appearance Cork Man – Cement Paul Hanley.
Took it out easier for the first two ks just keeping Macca slightly ahead, and although not fast it was already starting to feel a little uncomfortable going up ‘Scribble’s at the 2.5k mark. Sat on a ‘Little Cubs’ shoulders for a while before dropping him then made an effort to pick up Macca , which I did although that only lasted for about 300m in truth. The first big test came around the 4k mark as you start to climb and it’s safe to say I failed miserably – it wasn’t pretty. I stuffed the watch up at 5ks when instead of lap splitting  I actually stopped  the clock and was then mighty pleased for the drink station going up the hill.  Meanwhile a good battle was heating up at the business end as I saw Tommy H leading the charges home with only ‘Q’ sitting with him and Barts dropped altogether. Was surprised then to see Enda ahead of Fats and Macca but not actually too far ahead of me time wise.
Turned for home at the top and picked up the pace, but once I got back on the flat I was cooked, and I was barely holding 4 minute pace as  about 8 people were to come past over the last 2.5ks. I was even forced to stop at the 8k water aid station to take some fluids on board as I then labored my way to the finish line. I went through the 9k mark and thought I heard something in the bushes that scared the bejesus out of me thinking it was a snake and it got me moving that wee- bit faster  (but more on that later)
Managed to stop the clock in 38.30 for the day, somewhat disappointed but conditions certainly played a major part in the outcome that’s for sure with Macca only coming in on 36.53 and Fats failed to even break 37?
It didn’t seem to stop the Chairman Tommy H once again though as he powered his way to 2nd overall beating ‘Q’ and Barts for 4th – Another ‘Timmy Run of the Day ‘ to the Geordie Boy for that effort.
Good work also to Erika (3rd female) and Hanley on sub 40 mins that saw him collect over me when I gave him a 75 second buffer – well done mate.
Also lost out to Tom (+3.30) bet, although he gave me good news as I crossed the line when he told me I’d beat Enda who was still to finish????????? Hang on…Wasn’t he ahead of me at 6ks?  Confusion reigned for the next 20 minutes before the ‘Human Headline’ was to emerge, and what was to follow had to be seen and heard to be believed …………..and needs a special part 2 to explain all  J
Full results.



Post race, Krone, Hanley, Elle, birchy, Timmy, Neil, Erika, Fats and Pete Walker.


Fats explaining to 3rd home Erika where it all went wrong.



I think its safe to say that Paul Hanley (aka Cement) was pleased with his result and getting within the 75 seconds of my time?



Love to be able to say that i stormed home over the last 50m in the final race of the year..... Sadly it wasn't to be, as Angus Boyd was to take the photo on the home straight.

Have held over part 2 on the 'Human Headline' Enda Patrick Oliver (EPO) as he's due around soon and i'm keen to get the full story over a few beers..... stay tuned, I'm sure he's got some story lined up ?

cheers


1 comment:

  1. This blog reads like the worrying thoughts of an uncertain little boy.

    ReplyDelete