Tuesday, December 30, 2014

2014 - The Year in Review.

January. After a less than impressive 2013 I was keen to start the New Year injury free and looking forward to see what the next 12 months brought me. Started with a Triathlon (my only one of the year) down at Heffron for the Maccabi Sprint finishing 2nd only after one of the guys (who is also a HuRT member) didn’t shout out to me whilst leading  on the final turnaround on the run leg that saw me go too far. Little wonder Mikey isn’t a fan and has since tried to cancel his membership.

February.  The start of the Striders series out at Homebush and it certainly wasn’t the start I was after with a woeful  42.01 , just barely managing to outsprint HuRTS #1 female Renee.  No sign of Enda mind you as his first cold of the year prevents him from running.
Did my first ever Ocean swim out at Bondi, shocker nearly died 12 times over during the course of the 2ks as Ronan beats me by over 5 minutes and Enda even smashes me by over 60 seconds.

March. Missed the 6ft track, although never entered to be honest, great runs from the team across the table with Tucks 5th home, run of the day though went to Taffy James in breaking 4hrs. Tells me his secret was that he concentrated on just chasing the sheep across the fields.

April. Another ordinary run at Striders sees me come home in 39.52, before venturing down to the Nation’s Capital for the first of my 5 Half Marathons for the year. Felt shocking all the way through and had Greta Truscott on my heels at 8k and was gone at this point. Found something on the second half though once the competitive instincts kicked in to stop the clock in 85.20.  Things were looking up in the pool though when I take out my first ever Swimming Trophy – winning the HuRTS 1k Time Trial ‘Golden Duck’ Handicap in 16.55

May. Busy time for the team with the running of the SMH Half marathon, and I start to think that I may have turned things around with a solid 82.58 for the day. On the downside though is the loss of the Churchill / Sands Cup to the Irish boys for the first time. Once more not without controversy, as the Irish tried every trick in the book to win, getting anyone remotely Irish running for them – It’s a disgrace but being the English gentlemen we are, we lose with dignity and hand the trophy over. I think most of their team were that ashamed only team captain Enda and Corky O’Conner even bothered to turn up for the celebrations post race.

June. Started to train well and with consistency but frustrating as it never transpired to any decent times?  37.44 at the Striders and then a fortnight later the HuRTS travelling team hit Launceston for the fast 10k, and I was only good for a 37.30. Cracker of a trip mind you, with some members travelling away for the first time and forced to witness the Chairman throwing a ‘few shapes’ on the dance floor – it was worth the flight over alone to witness it.

July.  Annual trip to the Gold Coast and the 3rd Half of the year, but nearly never made it as was dying of the flu, Still soldiered on and struggled to get the 21ks done finishing in 88.55. I reckon it was worth HuRTS P.O.T.Y alone for the gallant effort to see me even make the start line in such circumstances.
Enda’s fine first 6 months was about to reach a year high when he runs a cracker of a Marathon in 2.38 (although many claimed he should have gone 2.36), Unfortunately this was about as good as it got for the Irishman and his year came crashing down after this.
Celebrated C.Ts 40th Birthday Bash as well with 80s fancy dress, and sorry to have to witness Tommy H’s dancing was back on show for the second time in as many months ……. And NO it didn’t get any better.
Highlight, seeing Fats WITH Hair.

August. Biggest run of the year for the City to Surf, did OK to come home in 53.04  as the HuRTS squad formed teams of 5 that saw Muzza lead his ‘Yule be Alright Mate’ team to outright victory.

September. Striders run of 37.10 was about as good as it was to get for the year as we welcomed back Stevie ‘Wildman’ T back and with it came a respectable 5th overall with the Chairman taking 2nd. Last Half of the year as well and run 82.48 that I was pretty happy with although struggled over the last 4ks going back into the Domain big time. I start to get the regular Sunday long runs going in prep for Melbourne Marathon, never missing from after C2S right the way through Sept and up to race day

October. It didn’t’ take Stevie T long as he takes outright win at the Striders 10k, as I run a similar time to last month in 37.15, The HuRTS travelling army hit south to Melbourne and my first Marathon since Berlin over 12 months ago. Wasn’t in bad form but knew I would struggle over the final 10ks. It proved spot on as at the 30k mark I was goneski, bloody long way home from there but battled and was delighted to break the 3hr barrier once again with a 2.58:07 for the day

November. Started to get into the busy period , and not just on the running track. Last Striders of the year out at Lane Cove and it wasn’t the finish I was looking for coming home in 38.30 – On the plus side it was still some 20 minutes quicker then Enda could manage . As he grabs the headlines once more with his 58 minute run, going off road and deciding to take a ‘nap’ all in a mornings work. Certainly got the Story of the Year and gave Mikey great entertainment along the way.
Backed up with the opening Biathlon of the season and despite finishing in 19.15 it still wasn’t good enough to beat Tom and his breastroke
Had the popular J.P Morgan 5.6k race in Centennial Park, happy with the run finishing in 19.34 having a great battle with Lady Laura all the way (just beating her by about 5 seconds) and even better evening post race with Tom hosting all the team in the Allen’s tent.
Finally the HuRTS presentation saw its biggest gathering to honor the winners, that saw Quentin take top award for the year with his City to Surf Run, and Erika Ekland take the top female trophy away. Poor Mikey had to endure the Overachiever that he wasn’t happy with and I was sure Jeet was going to get sacked the following day at UBS as a result?


December.  Parties, Eating and Drinking were pretty much the order of the month, with Jeet, Fats turning 40, as well as many other social events to attend.
Finished off the year by taking out my 2nd Golden Duck in the 1k Handicap race for December (16.55)and end the year as Swimming champ of 2014….. Never thought I’d ever say that? J
Have a tried to keep some level of fitness up but its bloody hard, hoping though that I do enter 2015 in better shape than when I started the year and really looking forward to 2015.

Year Highs.
Injury FREE year
Back running a Marathon and breaking 3 hrs
5 Half Marathons for the Year
J.P Morgan run
Camaraderie shown throughout the HuRTS team
The Launceston and Melbourne Tours, with many new faces on it.

Lows
Not being able to run sub 37 minutes for 10ks (best 37.10)
Losing the Churchill Cup to the Irish (despite blatant cheating……. Let it go Timmy , I’ve got to let it go …)

Tomorrow , I will look through my crystal ball and see what 2015 holds for me and the rest of the gang.

Happy New Year to all
Cheers


No comments:

Post a Comment