Wednesday, January 14, 2015

HuRTS/Timmy's Double Tempo Set.

HOLY MOTHER OF GOD – that was tough.

In what is considered by many to be one of the toughest sessions on the calendar  and then throw in an over 30 degree day and we were all struggling at the double header of a session.
First up is the 20 minute 100m (approx) hill tempo set, Barts took off and I was surprised to see the chairman, Muzza and Tucks all behind me for the first few reps as I tucked in with Crossy (also taking it easy) and Razor Wareham. As usual on this set I was knackered by the first time I glanced at the watch and saw a tick over 5 mins. Found I was going ahead of Razor on the ups but he was coming down at a faster rate. Run a few with Tom towards the end but was happy to see the clock click over 20mins  as I was recovering  half way back down the hill – Buggered.

Part 2 is the 5k tempo around the Domain, and with only two groups today we set the slower (4min/ks) people first, with Tom, Muzza, Tucks, and Crossy all going easier they said they would help us out and run about 3.45 pace that I was after. Felt OK as we went through the first k bang on 3.45 but by the time I got to Mrs. Macs chair I thought I was gone and pretty much told Tom as much. Hung in though on the return but once more had the negative thoughts at the start of the second loop. Kept getting encouragement from Crossy, Tom and new found (plastic) Irishman John Bourke to stay with them and surprised myself in doing so. Managed to get over the final short hill before coming back up over the Express flyover and tried to lift and kick it down for the final 400m. Not sure how, especially with the way I was feeling at the 1.5k mark but I got back to the Stone gates in 18.54 running shoulder to shoulder with the Chairman. Think it was about 100m short of 5k to be honest but I certainly wasn’t complaining
I would hardly call it a tempo run, as I certainly couldn’t have gone any better/faster today but delighted I managed to hang in where over the past 3 months I would have probably thrown the towel in.
Big shout out to the boys – Crossy, Tom and Bourkey for helping out mind and listening to my drivel for most of the way around (when I could actually speak that was)
Thank God that this session is out the way and won’t be coming around again for another 6 weeks.

Rest day tomorrow, but will head to the pool for a dip at lunchtime before I have an afternoon at the cricket watching the English boys hopefully give those Aussies a shoeing with Tom, Sammy J and a few others.

Cheers

No comments:

Post a Comment