Saturday, February 7, 2015

Homebush Striders 37.34

Great runs, Podiums, PBs, injuries, tears,  and the Disappointments , Yep the first race back in the popular Striders series out at Homebush had it all.
Rocked up out at Homebush to find a massive HuRTs turnout with all the regulars, and nice to see the return of the Leech and ‘Kenny’ back after injury, as well as big Ronnie (Biggsy), but  the highlight as always was seeing good mate (who we don’t see at HuRTS anymore) Richie High who’s always great value and someone who I’ve always got on with.
Warmed up with Irelands #2 Enda and Pommy Paulie Birch before making my way to line up alongside the Chairman Tommy H and Michael Ho (the Chinese Detective) who made a beeline for me wanting to make a bet,  Bet was made (but more on that later) and before we knew it we were off.
Always a mad dash around the car park but settled Ok for the first 1k just in behind the like of Julia Degan (first female), The Leech, Richie H,  Kenny, Biggsy and few others, felt fine but as soon as about the 3k mark that group just seemed to  gap me by about 30m and before I knew It I was battling.  Coming around the common just before 4ks I saw Richie H had been dropped from the group also and was at least making ground on him, unfortunately for him as I was approaching his calf gave out L, a quick slow down to make sure he was OK ( for about 3 seconds) and I was to continue to complete the first of the two laps.
Really was in no man’s land coming out the car park on the 2nd lap and was happy enough when Anna White joined me at the 6k marker, It kind of spurred me on and we tried to help each other exchanging places on numerous occasions around the 7 and 8k mark. Could see the 2nd female was struggling coming back from the common and thought if we push it could at least give Anna White the chance of the runners up spot? The last little hairpin turn coming up to the road is a killer although once back on the straight it’s a nice fast 300m kick down.  Anna kicked first , then I had a go and in the process we both edged out the 2nd lady as I crossed out in 37.34 for the day.

Some great runs out there for first race back of the season, Tommy H never disappoints storming home to grab 3rd in 33.10, others of note were Enda’s 34.47 edging out Macca by 5 seconds, Kenny with 36.30, The Leech right on his heels (what do you expect?) 36.33. Ronnie (Biggs) was strong and Birchy will be happy with his 40 minute effort. The Timmy run of the Day though must go out to the ‘Chinese Detective (M.Ho) who pushed the Chairman all the way to PB with a cracker of a run for a 33.15
Me? Well, to be honest pretty disappointed (again) with the 37.34 – never really in it and just gave up far too easy when the going got tough. I went into the race in high hopes of running a sub 37 min after training well but even after 4ks I was battling. Just have to keep plugging away I suppose, and start getting a little more aggressive and go with the flow when the break comes in races?


On the betting stakes , well not a lot of damage done really – thanks mainly to Enda of all people who put Toms NOTB boy Macca in his place beating him by the 5 seconds, Tom did cover the 3.20 on me (easy) and I lost out to Enda who also smashed me even with a 1.45 handicap start. Hoey’s on the start line bet paid off for him as well , after he gave me 2.15 start.
Just on the betting, all bets will obviously be paid out , BUT there is a lot of rorting and shafting of the system going on that will have to stop.
Kangaroo Court sits this afternoon over beers and its already been decided (in true Kangaroo Court style) the following.
Hoey has been slapped with a ‘Never to bet Again’ tag – after a blatant rort to extort money from me and should be locked up for such crimes, Enda has been giving a 3 month ban, (first bet back will be May SMH Half) after stating all along that he would run around 35.15-20 then runs 34.47?  and even Tommy H has been served a notice about future bets after saying he would run a 34.xx (and runs a 33.15)
Am I the only honest HurTS out there?  I based all bets on me running a 37 – Ok I didn’t run it but had I done I still would have been done on all the bets made.  Poor performance from some of the lads.

In the afternoon I had to venture over to Queens Park for the 2nd run of the day in honour of Cedric ‘Cedo’ Sidebottom for the 6.7k Memorial Run of the former founder of the BRAT club that I have been involved with for the past 20 years.  A great English eccentric who helped me when I first got into running after finishing playing footy. Epitomized everything about the club, before the days of emails and mobiles he used to write all the results out and post them to all the finishers, timed the races and laid out the course, supporting EVERY runner home giving it the famous “Mighty effort’ to all
A good turnout with many of the old (old) guys showing and was therefore surprised to see Champagne Charlie in attendance, alongside another HuRTS boy Brendan Krone.  3 laps of the 2.25k course and the bloody hills over the back of Q.P made it one hell of a run especially with 30 degree heat beaming down. The two boys went ahead and I was just happy to complete the laps to be honest keeping an eye out for the 4th place runner throughout.
Stopped the clock in 27.43 for 3rd – wrecked by the end of it and was happy to see the beers and BBQ fired up once done and time to reminisce .
 A full on day was then complete with a trip over to Bondi to take in the Open-air Movies next to the pavilion to watch ‘The Imitation Game’  a cracker of a movie and a full ‘Barry Norman’ film review will come tomorrow.

An afternoon on the beers, and then tonight it’s the Toon v Stoke clash – let’s hope I can be giving the Chairman Tommy H a good serve of texts tomorrow ? J

Cheers

2 comments:

  1. Great report Timmy, though what do I need to do to get off the ban list? 3:30 handicap?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Young Timmy you've been neglecting your avid readership!

    ReplyDelete