Tuesday, June 23, 2015

'The Return' - HuRTS 4 x 10 minute efforts,

Tuesday.
Returned to the group today for the first time since returning from holidays and boy what an absolute killer that turned out to be. The best and only good thing to come from it was the fact I finished (unlike many)
Rolled up to find a mass of people (must have been 50+) and we were soon away, just sat in with Renaud, Angus, Todd and one or two of the others for the first rep. Was ticking along OK although coming around Mrs. Mac’s the boys just started to pull away, not to worry though as Minhy (Michael Ho) soon joined me to finish the first 10 minutes off. Happy to cover 2.7ks sitting in around the 3.40 average mark.
I know the return leg is always tougher but felt OK for the first 5 minutes until I hit the hill around the A.B.C Pool then it all went belly up – legs just went and it was a battle just to get back. Suffice to say I was nowhere to be seen at the Stone Gates at the 10 minute mark and it even had Birchy out with his binoculars looking for me.
Already consigned myself with running at 4 minute pace for the 3rd but knew I was struggling when Taffy Lad was to fly past after 5 minutes, and was finding it tough to even run by this stage of the session. A quick hello to HuRTS #1 lady Renee was about as much as I could muster as I went in search of the local water bubbler  before the return for the final time. Somehow got back to the Stone Gates just as the clock ticked over 10 minutes but it wasn’t pretty.
Not sure what happened to the rest of the mob? 50 odd starters and I’m betting there were only a dozen at most to finish the set – Tom, Barts, Skippy, Angus, Biggsy, to name a few.
Just over 10ks for the 40 minutes running – woeful, and I think it could be a long way back, why oh why do I drink & eat so much when on holidays I  was to spend the afternoon asking myself.

Wednesday
Easy 7ks with clients first up, although even running at a slower pace it was anything but easy. Then met up with Enda for a 6k loop and was soon joined by POD on his bike who looked more of a forlorn figure than I did as he recounted his recent Half Ironman in Cairns where he walked for 19 of the 21ks ????? very strange.
Just shy of 14ks for the morning, and at least I was back out knocking out a few ks.

Will be back out tomorrow for the Rushcutters ‘Double header’ session that is the 400s and 3k tempo set.

cheers

No comments:

Post a Comment