Thursday, July 30, 2015

Golden Duck 1k Time Trial - 3rd in 17.44

Lovely winters day with  the sun out  at 20 degrees for the start of the July Golden Duck 1k time trial. Still only a small crowd with Pete Walker away, Obviously too cold for Crossy Lad’s frail old body whilst the $1.50 per 100m was getting to expensive for ‘Champagne’ and he was nowhere to be seen either.
On deck though were unbackable favourite Angus, with Champ, Leech and I with Sonii Van Beek making a rare appearance. Angus was that confident he cancelled a luncheon just to get his hands on the Duck and with a small team he was smiling like a ‘Cheshire Cat’ before the off.
Sonii was first away and I was forced to wait 2.40 before I was let loose with the Champ, Despite a lack of swimming I was ticking along OK and managed to drop the Champ by the 200m mark, Had nobody to work off though either in front or just behind to keep me honest and by the half way mark I could feel the pace reducing.
Kept an eye on the Leech who was about the same point in the pool the whole way, and it took till the 800m mark before Angus caught me, managed to sit on his feet for 50m before his tumble turn created the gap.
Managed to see it out and touch the wall in a respectable 17.44 and was expecting to see Angus parading around the pool with the Duck, that was until I saw a beaming Sonii who had managed to hold out and take the honours.
So all those winter morning swims paid off for Sonya, and was the only one to swim under the handicap, The leech continues to struggle and even Champ is swimming nearly 2 minutes down on his summer best. Poor Angus was seen in near tears as he left the pool bemoaning his lost FREE lunch and headed straight to the nearest ‘$5 Kebab House’
Times were
Sonya 19.29 Golden Duck Winner
Angus 15.51 Fastest of the Day
Tim      17.44
Leech 17.449
Champ 18.46

Big weekend planned , don’t’ think I can make the Striders 10k due to work commitments, which is a shame as I feel the Lane Cove 10k a week out from City to Surf is a perfect prep race to do.
Might see if I can make the Park Run again though and give that a crack.
Got a big afternoon party on the Saturday that could do damage to the Sunday long run this week, if that happens I’ll have to find time on the Monday.


Sonya with Golden Duck after cleaning the boys up in the monthly T/T.


The City to Surf draw took place as well this morning, pretty even playing field across the board I feel. But hate to say it but I reckon Enda and his team will take out it.
Will talk more about it later in the week.


Have a great weekend
Train Well, Stay safe
Cheers

No comments:

Post a Comment