Monday, July 6, 2015

Paddo Hills and Tempo

Pretty much a case of more of the same as I decided to knock out a few hill repeats followed by a 5k tempo within the park.
Knew I’d be struggling to get into town at lunch and with many of the guys in recovery mode after Sunday I felt it a better option to get it done early doors.  6 x Paddo Hills (500m from the café to the top gate) was the go with recovery on the downhill and after the first rep (1.58) I wondered if I was actually going to make it? Felt terrible and really the heart wasn’t in it but plugged away and strangely enough I got more into it as the set went on as the times were consistent throughout.
Rep times were: 1.58, 1.57, 1.55, 1.53, 1.53, 1.54
Seemed to take forever once part one was done as I procrastinated with the ‘Will I, won’t I’ routine on deciding if I was up for the 5k tempo - before giving myself a good talking too and soon after I was off. A steady 1st k at 3.44 was OK and I hoped that I may be able to hold that for the remaining but once the tougher second half came I was starting to struggle.
Still happy enough as I hit the 5k marker back at the café in 19.04 – averaging 3.49s (3.44, 3.48, 3.48, 3.50, 3.52)
With the flat lap 4ks warm up I was all done with 15ks for the day.

Been hearing all the success stories from the weekend and some 48 hours later had time to pretty much get the full wrap up. The more I look at it the better it is, The ‘Ho’ run, not only the Timmy run of the Day’ BUT I’m predicting it’ll have to take something special to stop him getting ‘Performance of the Year’ when the big awards come calling in November. Fair play to all the Marathon guys in testing conditions on toughing it over the final 6ks or so.
Barts run was special as well, unbelievably to think he knocked 60 seconds (?) off his previous best, Special mention to ‘The Human Headline’ Stankard as well who would have beaten Barts by all accounts if only he could learn to tie his shoelaces. Amateur

Some pics from the weekend’s races.

Hoey crosses in 2.30:16 - for possibly the Run of the Year?

The NEW ‘Prince’ of the team – Hoey celebrates his run.

Although Barts retains the #1 status and celebrates himself with his Strawberry Daiquiri

And front page of the ‘Bulletin’ with the Chairman Tommy H and Hoey, some of the cynics suggested that this was as close Tom was to get to Hoey for the next 2hrs 30 mins.

Laura and Sonii Van Beek enjoying the post race drinks and having to listen to Enda’s stories is always worth a giggle.

Whilst everyone was out enjoying the flat course at the Goldie Young Timmy was doing the hard yards at ‘The Worlds Hardest ParkRun’ at St Peters taking on the Hills in the freezing cold.

Cheers

1 comment: