Sunday, September 27, 2015

BRAT Bridesmaid Tri 68.50 - 2nd ....Again.

Heffron Park & Aquatic centre was the venue today after a late night watching all the footy for the first of the BRAT triathlons of the season. Another terrible morning and really wasn’t that keen but need to get the bike going before Nepean in less than 4 weeks. Very small turnout with only HuRTS boy Brendan Krone of any value.
With no hot shots around (especially in the pool) I decided that I was now strong enough to just try to sit on Kroney’s feet for the 750 swim – and that’s exactly what I did. Felt OK throughout although at the end of each lap he was getting a couple of metres on me thanks to his tumble turns that come in handy and one that I’ve still too master.
Pretty happy to jump out the pool in 12.49 and after a decent T1 we were both out at pretty much the same time although he then put a gap on me as I was battling to get my feet in the shoes to get going. A lack of bike was always going to make it a tough day and coming down the 400m home straight on each lap was just torture due to the high winds. Its 10 laps of 2k loops and I thought if I could just hang in then I’d fancy my chances to take Kroney on the 5k run loop.
All was going to plan as I came in some 8 seconds behind into T2 but then had a shocker, Off the bike OK but then couldn’t feel my feet and had major issues in getting the shoes on. To make matters worse I had cramp and once I was ready to go he was already some 150m down the road. Consigned myself then to realize race was over, and never really pushed it once I was in that frame of mind. Pretty much held 3.50 for the run to come home with a 19.29 .
Stopped the clock in a rather slowish 68.50 for the day for 2nd spot.  So 2nd again….F.F.S I’ve had more 2nds than a Fat Kid in the School Lunch Queue at BRAT races over the years. Always seems someone that I struggle to topple. Although in truth I should have taken top spot today but congrats to Kroney who worked hard and never let slip at anytime to take the victory.
K splits for the 5k were; 3.55, 3.47, 3.48, 3.54, 3.49

Just on the BRAT Club, I’ve been a member for nearly 20 years now and I can honestly say I’ve never seen the stocks so low when it comes to talent. Very small turnout today and when the likes of Brendan and I (both 40+)  can collect 1st & 2nd by a mile is a sad state of affairs. It seems as if most are happy to sit in coffee houses clad in lycra posting images of the GPS with 10k runs in 54 minutes. Tragic
Even the likes of Irish boys PLOD, Leech, Evan, Jas Hayden, Gnome Hill, Cookie, and the rest don’t even get down for hit outs these days?

A few arvo beers with Birchy who dropped over completed the day and he was all happy, seems he’s snagged some female company these days thanks to going out with his master teacher Taffy after work on Thursdays . Lovely looking girl by all accounts, and has a striking resemblance to Susan Boyle some say?
Geez, I may have to start going into town myself J

Winner Kroney and I prepare for battle before the swim leg.

On the run leg, and had to settle for 2nd spot once more thanks to a shocker in T2

Monday swim with Crossy and then back Tuesday with the boys for the HuRTS set to get the week going. Hopefully the glute is on the mend and will be looking at a good 4 weeks ahead of the Nepean Triathlon.

Cheers

3 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I think i'll wait until you are on the plane back home next Sunday before i start mentioning it mate.
      England won't get beat twice at Twickers within a week and that BONUS point you didn't get against Fiji may come back to haunt you boys.

      Delete
  2. nice wrap up there.
    Espec the bit about 2 washed up 40 something yr olds taking it out...wtf !! Ha !
    Kroney

    ReplyDelete