Tuesday, September 29, 2015

Enda-Like Excuses (and he's not even in the Country.

Sunny day, loads of tourists out, school holidays and chuck in the first ocean cruiser of the season docking it meant it was carnage out for the regular HuRTS crew around the Quay and Passenger Terminal area today for the 2 x 20 minute efforts.
I did this session a little over a month ago when I was moving OK with ‘The Stallion’ Durante, only modified it slightly to run harder for a 10k period then just jog back to the gates, and thought I’d do the same again today to test out where I was with my fitness.
A good turnout but everyone seemed to be taking it easy  and after the first 1k or so only D. Tonge was ahead that I found strange, C.T, Thornton’s Delights and a few others came by soon after that as I was holding a steady 3.35 pace, The fun started by the Opera House gates as  the crowds built and by the Quay the pace was reduced to only marginally better than 4 min/ks ( and it wasn’t nothing to do with my lack of fitness)
Got to underneath the Bridge for 5k in 18.48 and then took a break  and had hoped to return in a similar time, A quick chat with Pete Walker and Andy Dunne for a bit of help on the way back and we were soon off again. If the crowds were bad on the way out then coming back it was even worse, so bad in fact coming through the O.H Gates we were forced to stop thanks to a mass of kids, and the Choo Choo train blocking the way. From here on I’d lost it (both mentally and physically) and it was only a friendly chat to HuRTS #1 Renee that kept me going at one point. Got to the 8k mark and decided I was done, jumped the road and caught Birchy coming home at the A.B.C so I tagged on with him for the final 1.5k or so back to the gates.
10ks all up – 8 done at tempo sort of pace in 30.07 (3.45s) – Pretty ordinary set to be honest but at least the glute seemed fine that I was pleased with.
The 8 splits were: 3.37, 3.35, 3.48, 3.50, 3.54, 3.43, 3.41, 3.54

I think we need to avoid the Quay area in future when the school holidays are on – that was the worst I’ve seen it and I can’t see it getting any better. May possible try to do the 20 minute tempo starting at the Hyatt and head Hickson Road and the Wharfs in future?

Will be back out on Thursday for the more popular Rushcutters set on the Oval.

Cheers

No comments:

Post a Comment