Saturday, September 12, 2015

Long Run with Normal Service Returning



Superb Spring morning as I made my way to the park for the 6.30am start and found the usual suspects and nice to see Corky O’Connor back with us as well as Dave ‘Kanser’ Kane – more impressed was that he was on time for the first time in 7 years.
As late as last night I was still unsure if I was going to front with no sign of any improvement in the glute but figured I’d go out easier and if it flared up then I knew I was never far from getting back to the safety of the car. Pace was slightly easier for the first 6k loop before returning to the cafe.
Felt the pace pick up pretty much straight away after that and even seeing a 4.23 k go through I was dropping off the back at an alarming pace. Still I wasn’t worried and was happy to stay with ‘New York’ boys Jeet and Renaud for the remainder. Had a good chat with Renaud along the way about a thousand topics and he was in fine form even singing along at one point. I think he’s keen to get a HuRT Squad Russian tour going and by the looks of some of his photos he carries around he won’t be getting any negative comments from me on that score.
Once back in the park it was just one final flat loop of 4ks to bring up 20 for the morning and that was going to be enough for me for the day before heading to the cafe for a quick coffee care of the Leech.
Never felt particularly comfortable at any stage of the 20ks to be honest, but glad to get it out the way – slipped two of my strong  Vietnamese Voltaren 75mg tablets that helped to get me through and at least I was running free without pain.
The 20k splits were:
4.56, 4.44, 4.36, 4.38, 4.39, 4.38, 4.36, 4.23, 4.25, 4.34, 4.34, 4.36, 4.37, 4.43, 4.41, 4.55, 4.42, 4.40, 4.39, 4.49
Average 4.38s

Well after the disaster of last week’s post run breaky (Manly style) at ‘Bench’, I got the call up from our very own ‘Giles Coren’ (food critic) Prince Michael Ho (Hoey) to get things back on track. So armed with his lovely wife Lorie the three is us made our way into the heart of Redfern of all places to seek out  Kepos Street Kitchen. A Middle Eastern theme for this small but busy café as I sat down with some trepidation of what was to come.
Need not have worried though as Hoey gave us the rundown and in no time we were all in ‘Breaky Heaven’ as the dishes were served up. Some people take time out  to say prayers before they tuck in, BUT Family Ho’s ruling is we need 150 photos of each dish as we wait patiently  and saliva over our plates.
Hoey’s smoked salmon looked (and tasted) the business, and I barely looked at Lorie’s as I feasted into my Bacon & Egg Brioche with Chili Jam, Roasted Tomatoes and Spinach Roll.
Top notch from this little Eastern Gem, and truly was in a higher league than the normal Bacon Buttie Greasy Joe houses that I frequent in. Love the cozy intimate atmosphere of the place and the staff were great – very friendly and attentive.
Will I return…. Sure will.
For a full on review and its ratings check in with Hoey’s blog as am sure he’ll give it the ‘full going over’ and give it a more detailed description. One thing I’m 100% sure on though is it won’t be as scathing a review as it was as last Saturday.

Had a good night out on Friday as we celebrated 5 HuRTS birthday’s, Very disappointed in the turnout though in truth as ‘The Chairman’ let me down (and it was his party) , as did Birch, Gleeson, Kane, Stankard, Fattorini, Mikey, Sammy J all a NO SHOW. Not to mention Taffy James who despite the night starting at 5.30pm still thinks it’s OK to roll up at 9.45pm and then wonder where everyone is?
Still had fun as I enjoyed chatting to the girls Laura, Elle and Corky over a few beers as well as North Shore couple Erika Ekland & hubby Darren. Stevie T made an appearance and was in fine form, as was a drunk Renaud who seems obsessed these days with some Russian Triathlete ?
I managed to open a  NEW account on the betting stakes with Angus Boyd joining the list and a bet was made as I decided (finally) to do a 70.3 Half Ironman in November and he’s keen to take some ‘Timmy Dollars’ from me to get his account kick started.
He seems a fair bloke and I’ll have to improve loads over the next couple of months if I’m to stand a chance.

Sunday beers are coming up, but will need to get back in the pool tomorrow so hopefully I can keep it steady.

Cheers

Always guarantee a decent breakfast if you are out with Giles (Hoey) Coren

Ariel view of the mornings servings.

A good night out with the team, Corky, Renaud, Elle, Timmy, Darren, Laura, Erika and Leech with Jeet at the front.

Helped by taking a friendly $20 from Renaud for the 'City to Surf' run.

....and a little thought before i head out for my 'Sunday' Arvo beers :)

Cheers







1 comment:

  1. Nice run and breaky Timmy. Good to see. Not sure people refer to Redfern as the Eastside.

    ReplyDelete