Thursday, October 8, 2015

A.B.C Biathlon 19.35 - 5th Overall.


I put out the call of arms but was sadly let down once more with a very poor turnout for the first Biathlon of the season from the team. Worst excuses heard on record and even Enda would have been proud of many of the feeble reasons NOT to race. Probably my biggest disappointment though came from the ‘Chairman’ when our head to head didn’t eventuate.

Rolled up to a decent attendance but only spotted Mike Lichwark (Kiwi) and Angus from the HuRTS team, stood on the start line and bulled Angus up telling him the win was his tonight for sure as he only had Mike to beat and with that he took off like a man possessed. I went through the first 1k at 3.29 and he was easily 10-15 seconds ahead of me. I settled into 4th on the run leg working about 30m from the lad ahead.  Got to the turning point in 7.08 and thought I’d bridge the gap on the return leg. Fair play to the lad though as I never actually got any closer as I came home in a slightly slower 14.08 (with 3rd place 14.00)

A 22 second transition felt an age but wasn’t too bad and although the breathing was fine once swimming the arms felt so heavy. Ticked along OK and even at the 250m mark still had none of the faster swimmers go by, that lasted till the final 25m before my 4th spot was gone.

Touched the wall in 19.35 for 5th overall – slower than normal but good to get the first hit out done and out the way.

Jumped out the pool thinking I was going to congratulate Casper (Angus) on his debut win only to be told he got done...... Yep, the guy in 3rd place on the run not only looked like James Magnussen but could actually swim like the ‘Missile’ himself

Winning time was 17.49 , Angus 18.11

 

Although Tommy H let me down with his no show I was mighty relieved in the end as I know he would have beat me on that time so I saved myself $20 and actually WON the $20  (he knows the rules)

 

I’m pretty confident going forward for the season that I can find the extra 30 seconds needed to beat the Chairman and I’ll be waiting for his challenge once he can lose the floaties and the armbands and eventually lock in a date.

 

A few quiet beers in the Tilbury after capped off a fine evening.

 

A quieter weekend this week ( I hope) NO footy on the cards due to the International break so I can’t tip you Stoke to win this week, England will win but will be very short odds.

So the next best Timmy’s bet this week will be get on the Daft Taffy’s to topple the Skippy’s in the Union,

 

Met up with the HuRTS hierarchy Mikey & Tom today to discuss a few things, and finally had a collect from the Chairman for the September Striders 10 where he not only failed to cover the 2.30 handicap start but also failed to beat me on the day.

Photo from the handover.

Also agreed (as a fair bloke) to go Double of nothing on the next Biathlon with his no show from last night.


Cheers 'H' - $20 in the Lindop 'Kitty' care of our Striders 10k runs at North Head.

Cheers

No comments:

Post a Comment