Sunday, October 18, 2015

On the Bike - West Head and Akuna Bay.


Enlisted the help of good HuRTS boys Eoin the Leech and Brendan Krone for my first proper bike ride in about 8 months and after picking up Kroney at Centennial we cruised over the bridge to the ‘Dark Side’ to collect Leechy.

No sooner started and I get a puncture at North Sydney that has me in doubts about if this was a good idea or not. Leech tells me we are heading out to West Head and Akuna Bay for the morning and then slips in that its 100k from where we started .

Head out and enjoy the first big downhill to the Spit as I hit speeds of nearly 70 clicks , and then deep into the North Shore boys territory before we are forced to stop again at Narrabeen for puncture #2 care of the Leech..... these bloody dirty North Shore roads – full of crap.

Lots of rolling hills but even by about 40ks I can feel the legs starting to fade, although the big downhills soon take the pain disappear for a short time as the speed one again hits the high 70s and even 82 at one point.

A quick drinks break at 50k at West Head and time for a scenic pic with the lads before the first of a decent climb ahead, Struggle with it and Leech is barely any stronger thanks to his 4 week break back in Ireland as  Kroney powers ahead. Some nice flat sections follow as we keep a nice 40 ks per/hr tempo with Kroney being made to do all the work but that doesn’t last long enough before we are forced to climb Mont Blanc to get us out of Akuna Bay. With 70ks now in the legs I’m in the hurt box and nearly a broken man as I’m struggling to even hold 10k per/hr with Leech slightly better holding about 11.

Bloody knackered at the end of it and was happy to get back on a decent stretch of Mona Vale Road and then stopping for a chocolate and coke fix at a nearby servo.

My joy at coming back down the ‘Spit was short lived as I knew I had one more climb on the other side but somehow managed to get through OK and from there it was pretty straight forward heading back along Military Road before bidding Leech farewell as Kroney and I made it back to the Bridge and the safety of the Eastside.

Returned to the park as the distance just edged over 116k for the morning – Geez, far more than I was intending and far more than  thought possible for me and despite being tired I was delighted to have got it done

Some stats from the morning ;

Distance 116ks

Bike time 4hr:15 mins

Average speed; 28 ks per/hr

Total Ascent: 1720m

 

Many thanks to the two boys in helping me out, I really do need to do more of these longer rides and will try to get out more in the hotter summer months ahead. Although PLOD won’t be coming with us as he tells me he needs his Sunday sleep in these days .... bloody big soft lad.

 

 

Not many things I enjoy more than my Sunday arvo beers, and today was no exception as I got the call up from old Kanser to drop over for a few beers and a bit of nosebag as he cooked up some Steak and Fish. Quality, He cooks up a storm does Davey and the beers flowed all afternoon before I head to the local in downtown Erko for a few more with Pommy Birchy and get all the gossip from Sesame Street care of his new ‘friend’

 

 
A break at 50ks in and take time out to play 'Tammy Tourist' with stunning views over West Head with The Leech and Kroney.

Cheers

No comments:

Post a Comment