Monday, November 30, 2015

Back on the Bike as the Heat comes for Summer


First day of Summer and boy didn’t it bring the heat with it nearly 34 degrees by the time I got in to meet the lunchtime team.

 Managed to get out on the bike at the crack of dawn for a change and knocked out a steady 30ks averaging 28.5ks per/hr before taking time out for work then was fortunate to see old mates Ronan and Kanser cycling around so joined in with them for a few more. By the time I got back home I had just a tick under 50ks all done by 8.30am

The heat had fired up big time a few hours later but it didn’t stop a big team for the 45 minute Progressive Tempo the was on the program, A few of the lads deemed it too hot and ran easy over to ‘Redleaf’ for a dip. I had decided in the heat to just try to run 40 minute at a constant 4 min/ks throughout that meant I was running at the front with Barts, Tongey, McGarva and Brummie Rich Mullaney to start with.

Ran pretty much solo through the busy Quay and Passenger terminal area, and took my break on the 20 minute mark. Knew the return wouldn’t be as easy but reeled a few in around the O.H and around Farm Cove as I was working closer to 3.55 pace – Buggered by the pool and was forced to walk that hill but wasn’t alone as Gleeso was doing the same just ahead, Got going again knowing I only had about 5 minutes to run but that final hill just before the Expressway reduced me to a near standstill. That was until I got a blast from none other than Barts of all people who was very positive and asked me to run the final 500m with him. Despite feeling like rat sh!te I actually lifted and went stride for stride with the Big Man all the way back to the Stone Gates

Not exactly the fastest but happy enough to record 10ks in 39.29  averaging around 3.56s – even if I did take the break at half way it was more than an honest type of effort in that heat.

I didn’t actually see too many of the boys back at the Gates when the 45 minutes ticked over – in fact I didn’t see even half the numbers return that started ?

 

Rest day tomorrow

Cheers

No comments:

Post a Comment