Saturday, November 7, 2015

Striders Lane Cove 10k - 39.34


Felt terrible as I got up and had it not been the fact it was the final race in the Striders 10k series I doubt I would have ventured out to Lane Cove. Collected Birchy on the way and  greeted by a friendly Mr & Mrs Kenny (Renee and James Everett) as well as Gleeso before a decent warm up with Birchy and Neil Pearson (who didn’t miss the opportunity to let me know that he broke good mate Tucks Marathon PB recently). Got a surprise as I stood on the start line when I saw Champagne Charlie standing beside me with bookmaker Paddy Power nearby starting at book on what kilometre he would pull the pin at (3rd k being favourite at 5/2)

Decent start and found I was actually running with Champagne as we went through the 1st k in 3.35, and even though the pace dropped for the 2nd by over 10 seconds I was still with him heading up the first of the hills. A bit of a battle here as he broke away but tried to get it back coming down Scribbles.  Had North Shore boy ‘Captain Grumpy’ Justin join me at 4ks and soon after the Leech went past looking pretty strong. Not really sure what happened from this point as I basically had nothing left in the tank and at 4.4ks going up the bigger hill I was forced to ‘give it away’ as Pete Walker came past offering some support. Got going again coming around the hut and gave David Tonge a hello as he was on marshalling duty for the morning.

Just before the turnaround comes the water station so made sure I walked through that taking plenty on board on a very humid morning but then got a massive shock as C.T on 40 minute pacing duties was to fly past .....W.T.F?

Drove me into action a little as I picked the pace up to get back ahead of him on the big downhill and from there it was a case of just trying to run sub 4 minute ks to get me back home. It wasn’t pretty and I was glad to cross the line in 39.34

Splits were; 3.35, 3.47, 4.02, 3.53, 4.25, 4.09, 3.54, 3.57, 4.01, 3.47

 

Very disappointed in truth and at a loss to explain? I know I wasn’t feeling great to start but still felt I would run it in a faster time than that. So not the way I was expecting to finish the series and I think it’s pretty much me done for the year now in terms of racing and don’t even think I’ll bother with this week’s JP 5.6ks after that.
 
Times were pretty ordinary across the team I felt with only Birchy coming away feeling satisfied with his 42 minute run
Others were.
Kenny  36.xx?
Leech 38.57
Pete Walker 39.29
Birchy 42.00
Renee 42.19
Gleeso 42.49
 
Both Walker and the Leech cost themselves a few bob when they didn't have the B@ll$ to  take the bets offered. I wanted head to head with Leech and gave a generous Pete a 25 second handicap start - so I certainly saved myself on those.
Even better I took Gleeso's hard earned after I gave him 75 seconds and he couldn't get anywhere near his estimated sub 40 minute time as expected. that's another $20 in the kitty ;)
 

 

 

Some of the team, Birchy, Gleeso, C.T and Neil Pearson with Mrs Kenny' Renee and Corky at the front.

Alongside Gleeso and Corky O'Connor.

Even The Leech was average with a 38.57 and the way we are both going his eldest son could be beating us next year.

Good to see Renee back racing - just failing to break the 40 minute mark with a healthy 40.19 to help celebrate her birthday weekend.

This photo does NOT do justice to how much I was suffering at this stage of the run.

Cheers






No comments:

Post a Comment