Sunday, December 13, 2015

Curl Curl Park Run 5ks - 18.01.... 4th Overall.


Despite it being a busy time of the year I managed to find a few free hours that enabled me to finally get over to the ‘Dark Side’ and run the 5k Park Run at Curl Curl.

Met up with Tommy H and Taffy James for the 2.5ks easy jog over and was greeted by a few friendly faces in Pete Walker, Julia Degan, Benny Boy and the talented Scotty O’Connor (SOC) who is back from a 3 year break in France.

With Tommy H seemingly on a 4 week bender on the booze it was decided he would run easier and try to get me to run 18 minutes which in turn would mean a good battle between Ben and myself who has been running 18.20 each week.

A fast start and with SOC long gone I find myself running 3rd to Ben as we pass through the first k in 3.24 with the Chairman still on my shoulder wondering what day it was.  He finally sparks into life for the 2nd though and I do my best to stay with him as the pace drops slightly to just over the 3.30 mark.

It’s a battle through the 3rd k on perhaps the only rise on the course (certainly NOT like St Peters at half way) and it’s here I really needed Tom’s help as I feel as if I’m struggling although looking ahead I see I’m closing the gap on Ben.  It’s here though that Tom gets to Ben and it’s the lift he needs as I bid Macca a good morning as he was out on his long run. The pace is kept honest as I tick the 4th off and coming back across the bridge I make a half hearted attempt to kick it down for a final time with 400m to go. Still wasn’t enough as Benny Boy and Tom pretty much cross the line together in 17.55 (?) and I stop my first watch in 17.59 and then my second in 18.01. Secretly hoping it was 18.00 dead but you know those NOTB boys they won’t give you nothing and when the official results come through later in the morning I’m given 18.01 and take out 4th spot (what is it with all these 4th places recently?)

Watch Julia come in not far behind, and then Pete with Taffy running a seasons best with a solid time of 19.11 before we start the cool down (what ends up with a marathon like long run ) back to the coffee house for another 5ks .

Apparently it’s the finest the North Shore has to offer – some gaff called ‘Emporio’ and Tommy H is keen to impress as he storms the counter ordering my coffee and toasted banana bread before he tucks into his burnt bacon and stale Turkish.  Good banter with Taffy as Macca joins us mid long run to break up his 30ks.

 

Set out to run 18 minutes and that’s what was achieved so got to be happy and the k splits weren’t too bad with the following run;
3.25, 3.32, 3.38, 3.35, 3.45

 
Many thanks to the boys for breaky and making sure I survived the trip north, and to my surprise it’s a very good run event and I’m sure I will return whenever I get free time from work. Still not sure of the distance ....... If you want to check and confirm just ask Julia Degan

 

Top afternoon and evening meant the long run didn’t happen for Sunday, and won’t be swimming on Monday either as got a well earned massage booked for lunch.

Poncing around at the 2k marker I reckon it cost me those 2 seconds - I really do need to get more serious when running.

"Oh NO, not again - what have I done bringing Timmy into here? Burnt Bacon and stale Turkish bread with a few flowers on the plate, I'll get crucified if Hoey gets wind of it. and this is Emporio - North Shores finest"

Cheers

2 comments:

  1. A massage - are you serious!
    I'm downgrading your mate status right now given that you skipped Friday's swim with us and now you're doing the same today. Disappointing...very disappointing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Right on Timmy. I know not to use you for food recommendations. However, the wife is looking for a good post natal massage therapist and it sound like your an expert in the field.

    ReplyDelete