Friday, December 18, 2015

December 'Golden Duck' 1k Swim T/T 16.33 - 1st Place.


Smaller team out for the final time trial of the season for the prized ‘Golden Duck’ at the A.B.C Pool, not sure if it was because of the busy Xmas season or the fact many were warned NO Speed Suits, Flippers, snorkels or hand paddles that kept many away?

Still, had the fastest member in the squad Manly Steve, In form Angus, and race favourite Crossy Lad on the starters blocks alongside the B.S.T (Balmoral Shark Team) Gleeso and Hannell, November winner Kroney and finally the Champ.

Gleeso was first away, with Champ following and I had to give Champ 30 seconds before I was let loose. Basically meant I was swimming solo for the first half before I reeled Champ in around the 600m mark. Eased up slightly once I was on his feet and got a free ride for the next 250 metres – although in truth I wasn’t that strong or confident enough to go around him. Decided though once I got to the top of the pool at 850 I’d break for home but needed an element of surprise or he would just sit on me and try to kick it out over the final 25 metres. On the 850 mark I then switched lanes and basically gave it all I had and hope the fast moving Crossy Lad wouldn’t catch me. With 50 metres to go I had about 15m lead so knew I had it and was lucky enough to touch out in 16.33 (exactly the same time as last month) and take the final ‘Duck’ of the year.

Watched then as Champ and Crossy Lad battled it out for the silver medal with Champ getting it by a whisker.

Some bloody fast times for the day with Manly Steve recording a PB in 13.55, likewise for Crossy in 15.14, with Angus dipping under the magic 15 minute mark. In fact everyone bar Paulie Hannell swum under the allocated handicap time, so it was a nice way to finish the year for the team.

Good guy Gleeso then took us up to the poolside deck and shouted lunch on a stunning day as we chewed the fat about the English premier footy, that was much appreciated.

 

Nice evening spent in town having a few beers with Taffy Lad, with Birchy making a late appearance, although I did miss out on the much anticipated ‘Nurses Party’ at the Woolloomooloo Bay Hotel – bloody typical.

 

Big weekend planned and it’s the match I’ve waited all season for as Stoke entertain Slim Sammy Agnew’s ‘Tin Pot’ Palace boys at the home of football. Stoke are playing well although have a few problems scoring goals but it won’t be a problem tonight. Get the house on a Stoke victory.

Stoke 2 vs. Crystal Palace 1

 

Was supposed to head out to Smithfield on Sunday to run the Half Marathon as a qualifier for London next year, but I fear Hoey, Tommy H and Barts have all pulled the plug so it looks like that won’t be happening and may have to find another way if I’m to make the start line next April ?

 

 
Poolside after taking out the last 'Duck' of the year. with Gleeso, Kroney, Manly Steve, Paulie Hannell, Crossy Lad (hidden) and The Champ.

Have a great weekend
Train Well and Stay Safe
Cheers

No comments:

Post a Comment