Monday, December 14, 2015

Double Up Day - Bike & Run.


Managed to get out on the bike the past two weeks on the Tuesday mornings and I thought  being back out today I was ready to start doing some efforts for the first time of the season. Enlisted an old client of mine who has really got into the triathlon side of things (doing  about 8 Ironmen) and has got really strong on the bike so knew it wouldn’t be an easy set.

6k ride from my house and then a few easy laps of the park before the 4 x 10 minute efforts (5 min recovery) were the go. Even just sitting it in I was working hard enough and despite every intention of helping out on the front I basically just sucked the wheel all the way as we ticked along averaging 40ks per/hr

The 2nd and 3rd reps were very similar but at least did help out (even if it was very minor) and for the last effort the hill came at the wrong time for my mate on the 2nd lap who blew up (his words) and I was forced to see it out from the front for the final two minutes.

Just received the stats from my partner for the morning and they were  - don’t ask me what all this watt nonsense is about either

  Nice work this morning... we rode pretty hard!
Effort 1: 40.9kph / 267 watts
Effort 2: 41.0kph / 272 watts
Effort 3: 40.8kph / 271 watts
Effort 4: 38.8kph (blew up!) / 256 watts
I aim to do 270 watts on these efforts so pretty good!
 

A few cool down laps and I returned home with 60k done for the morning.

 

I love the bike but it don’t half drain the legs and I wasn’t looking forward to the lunchtime 14 x 3 minute session that brought a huge crowd out on another hot and sticky day, Decided before that 10 was the go and as the ‘Big 3’ Barts, Hoey and Tommy H drifted off I was happy to sit on 3.25 pace for the first rep. Was joined on the easier return by the likes of Jerome, Macca, Brucie Lambo and a few others. Held the pace pretty consistent from there but must have been struggling as my head was all over the place when after what I thought was the completion of the 8th rep (when really it was only 6) I sought out Corky O’Conner to run the final two reps with her at 4 minute pace. Only finding out later from Jeet that I was only on rep #8 once done.

Pretty Pishe Poor in all honesty, but once I’d stopped I couldn’t restart and after a heavy bike this morning 6 x reps all under 3.25s was a pass mark in my eyes

Rep pace times were: 3.25, 3.24, 3.24, 3.24, 3.26, 3.25, 3.59, 3.53

 

Good to see the front lads putting some effort in today knocking out all 14 reps, ‘Tea Towel Tony continues his progress and good to see Laura back out regaining some fitness and won’t be long before she’s flying past me. Wish she wouldn’t go on about her ‘big belly’ so much mind you – especially when I’m standing beside her some 30 kilos heavier with my beer gut. J

 

Rest day tomorrow , although may take the chance to run with some clients easy.

 

Cheers

 

No comments:

Post a Comment