Thursday, January 28, 2016

Double Combo Set - 20 minute Hills & 5k Tempo.


AM – Back in the pool and knocked out 2.8ks, slow and steady was the order of the day – averaging 1.45s

 

 

Lunch. Must have done this session about 6 times now and it still never gets any easier. The ‘double’ compo set of 20 minutes of hills followed by a 5k tempo around the Domain is perhaps one of the toughest on the calendar and certainly isn’t for the faint hearted. That said a good turnout was out despite the hot and humid conditions once again with Enda even making a rare appearance and nice to see Old Warrior Charlie back for the first time in 2016.

Marked out the 125m hill and was soon into it sitting in about 4th as Tommy H and Prince Ho were battling well ahead, I found Razor Wareham come flying past me on the downhill and wondered what the hell he was doing? Works out he wanted to run the ‘downs’ fast and ‘ups’ easy, that meant we’d be seeing each other plenty during the course of the next 20 mins or so.
Enda came past me around the 6th minute marker and pulled me up for one rep, as I was then surprised to lap the slower guys so early in Hannell, Gleeso and Corky. The talented Frenchman Jerome was next to drag me around for a lap but my legs were pretty much gone at half way and after that it was pretty much over for me. A quick drink at the bubbler at the 11 minute mark and then in all honestly just went through the motions to get through the remainder.

A regroup at the Stone Gates before splitting into 2 groups for the 5k tempo and found despite the legs feeling like stumps was grouped with Enda, Leech and Razor moving OK going through the first 1k in 3.42. The boys started to pull away down to Mrs Macs Chair and from that point up the hill I was in survival mode. Back up the final hill at 2.5k where we turn again to do the 2nd lap but I just continued back to the starting point to register only 3ks. Mind you if I thought I was in the HURT box poor Charlie was in all sorts – sitting on the side of the road ‘Kaput’ at about 2.4ks ....Welcome back Warrior.

Back to the Stone Gates in 11.30 for the 3ks – averaging 3.50s, that meant one of the final 2ks was done close to 4 minutes if the first was 3.42

Recovered and waited for the team to arrive back and The Chairman Tommy H was the first home, powering looking bloody brilliant covering the 5ks in sub 16 I think he said ? The man’s on fire, although as I said ‘HuRTS P.O.T.Y isn’t handed out in January’ and my concern is he’s peaked and doing too high a mileage so early in the year.

Great effort once again from all those at the session, not one of my best although my legs were still cactus from Tuesday’s bike ride.

Will rest up completely Friday and try for a trot Saturday and get out for a long one come Sunday.

 

A big weekend on the cards, F.A Cup time in England and I can’t believe we have drawn the ‘Tin Pot Palace’ and are forced to go back to that $h1t hole Selhurst for a 2nd time this season.  They are ‘Pony’ at the moment although Stoke are coming off the back of a tough midweek game that included Extra Time so it will be a close affair.

Timmy’s Tip. Crystal Palace 1 vs. Stoke 1 **

Good mate Slim Sammy Agnew may even get an education on how supporters get behind their team and learn a thing or two from the travelling Stoke army.

 

Also in other news, there appears to be a few NEW blogs flying around, Hoey was rambling on about his and that he’s gone all fancy in trying to break into the ‘Elite’ market (Top 5) and now I see Tea Towel Tony Fats has brought his rag back. Didn’t used to be a bad read in truth, especially when he blogged about his Home Brewing. It’s bad news for our Geordie Blogger who will find himself dropping down the official list.

Old C.T has decided to post some of his words of wisdom as well that will see Insomniacs of the world  rejoice, Still it adds a bit of value to the Sunday long runs and gives us something more to chat about instead of the usual ‘ I run yesterday, I’ll run tomorrow and yep I run today’ ritual we normally get from ‘Pommy Toms Times’ like adventures.

I must get Kanser on the case for me to put a link up to all blogs on mine to help them out ...... hopefully that way they may get readership into double figures ?

 

Have a great weekend

Train well and stay safe

Cheers

** Stoke to win the replay

No comments:

Post a Comment