Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Running, Long Rides and Happy Haggis Day.


Monday. Usually a rest day but with NO run on Sunday I thought I better get back out and promised Corky I’d run with her. Good crew out though with the group basically splitting into two as I held back and it was like the Irish invasion with Enda, Super Kev, his brother Mark as well as Corky from the Emerald Island with Prince Ho also keeping us company.

Usual around the Domain/ Passenger Terminal and the Wharfs turning at the 7.5k mark. Pace was easy, banter less so with the first of the Churchill/ Sands trash already starting some 4 months out.

15ks all up averaging 4.52s – perfect.

Evening was spent at the Wisemans care of the annual ‘Burns Day’ better known to me as ‘Haggis Day’  Fine turnout over at the family home in Cloey, with a top BBQ and hosting by Craig himself. The Haggis was cooked (to perfection I’m told) and brought out, but before we got into it Craig gave a great poem about it (we had no clue what he was rambling on about), very intense and Birchy and I got a little worried when he had the knife pointed and something about Englishmen that looked very intimidating.  Only polite to try the Scots finest dish....... Acquired taste that’s for sure, and it’s certainly not mine. The Scottish sausages on the other hand were the business as was the chicken.  A fine evening capped off when the 12 year old Glenfiddich was brought out, Very smooth to put away and enjoyed by all .....even Greta sampled.

Quote of the night came from Greta herself though when she asked me ‘ Why do the Scots have and celebrate ‘Burns Day’ so close to our own Aussie Day?

Many thanks to Craig and wife Anne for hosting.

 

Tuesday. Turned into a rather late Monday evening and when the alarm went at 5.30am in order to meet Kroney for our long ride it was touch and go?  Still, made it and along with my regular long ride partners Kroney and the Leech we were set for the morning. Honoured to have Angus ‘Curly’ Boyd along with us for his debut as we settled on the 3 Gorges ride over the north side. Along with the West Head and Akuna Bay this is perhaps the best ride you get in Sydney although with plenty of hills and over 100ks it was more than I was capable or should be attempting with no bike work done over the last 6 weeks once again.

It’s a tough enough start for the first 30k until you get out of town, but once out its stunning and before long due to the wet roads we make our way cautiously down to Cataract Gorge. First challenge of the day on the uphills but we climb together as we then head to Berowra Waters. Another great section as I open it up and fly down to the waiting ferry hitting speeds up near the 70 ks per/hr.

I may have been first OFF the ferry but I was certainly last up the 2nd of the hills as the legs with lack of biking was starting to show. Meanwhile the boys in particular Kroney flew up.

Pretty fast section along the highway before heading back into Kuringai National Park, but any slight hills and I was getting dropped big time, Angus took pity on me and towed me along for about 10k and I just sat on his wheel the whole way, even on the decent.  The 4ks climb out was torture and had to do solo with the lads that far ahead I had them pre order my coffee at the local brew house at the top.

Recovery time over coffee and banana bread chatting to Travis Shields before I was forced back on the bike for the final 40ks or so back home.  Tagged on to a group along the Pacific Hwy, that included gun cyclist Stuart Dangerfield that helped but I was close to breaking point as the distance tipped over 100ks for the day. Was forced into an unscheduled ‘Pit Stop’ as cramps set in and a ‘Coke’ was ordered as I was in a world of pain.

Happy to get back to Nth Sydney where we dropped Eoin off and then proceeded across the Bridge into town and then home with 120ks done for the mornings work. Average pace all up for me was 26ks per/hr that may not seem that fast but it was bloody hard enough for me over that terrain.

For a full on course description and times best check out Kroneys info care of the popular Strava link that everyone seems to be on these days.

Was supposed to head to an Aussie Day BBQ hosted by Kroney, but in truth I couldn’t venture off the couch all afternoon it was that bad.

Many thanks to Eoin, Kroney and Angus though for the ride and getting me through it, makes me think that I need to do more on the bike over the next month or so if I’m even to attempt these bigger tri races.

 

Wednesday. Rest day, although did do an easy 7ks with clients first up .

 


Craig with Haggis, flanked by Greta, Sonii, C.T, Lindop, Birch and Corky O'Connor.
Not sure if the knife was for the Haggis or Englishman Birch & Lindop?
I think I'll stick with my Roast Beef and Yorkshire Pudding, thank you.
I always try to fit into the local culture.
Although I think Corky wears it better.

Cycling buddies on the ferry at Berowra Waters - Leech, Kroney and Angus Boyd.
'Elite' Leech trying to come to terms once shaking on giving me 60 seconds start at Homebush next week in the 10k, alongside Angus with his own 'Home brand sponsorship - Boyd shirt.

Cheers





1 comment:

  1. 30 seconds Timmy, for all races in 2016 as witnessed and agreed!

    ReplyDelete