Saturday, January 2, 2016

The Year in Review 2015


Well another year down and even if I didn’t get the results I was after I was still pretty happy with how the 12 months unfolded.

January. Started the year off in better shape than previous ones and was happy with a Park Run in a decent time over 5ks and a 65 minute BRAT triathlon for the first of many 2nd placing that would be the norm for the 12 months.

February. Saw the first Striders 10k of the series out at Homebush and although wasn’t nothing to write home about I thought a 37.24 wasn’t a bad way to begin and would set a good platform for the year? (how wrong I was to be)

March, Begun to get busier and I upped the ante with my swimming with a 16.51 time trial with the HuRTS team. Mate Paulie Hanley was leaving for a stint in Dubai and had a farewell BRAT triathlon that saw me come in 2nd to PLOD in 66 minutes. The 2nd Striders race was out at Manly on an easier course but sadly I wasn’t able to go any faster despite getting a decent 4 weeks training in since the Feb race, Raced without a watch to try to help but only registered 37.34 for the mornings work.

April, I returned to Kurnell for the Sprint Triathlon series and this was better as I got 2nd in age group but more importantly took Crossy Lad for a friendly $20 when he agreed to give me a 3 minute start and lost out by the closest margin of 1 second. Also headed down the nation’s capital for the Canberra Half and run solid enough to stop the clock with an even 84 minutes – cleaning up in the betting stakes with Birch and Taffy, but disappointed when Kanser came past about the 12k mark and I was unable to do anything about it.

Meanwhile the Striders was getting worse as I post a very disappointing 38.29

May. Is always a busy month on the calendar, got back in the 37s with a 37.29 at Striders. But the BIG one comes in the shape of the Churchill/ Sands Cup at SMH Half Marathon. The English boys led by the Chairman’s brilliant 3rd place overall regain the cup from those pesky Irish boys whose captain jumped ship early and didn’t even front up and the English celebrated in fine style, to the extent that the ‘Churchill Cup went missing and we were forced to get ‘Detective Bowman (Lisa) on the case for its safe return to headquarters at the Allen’s offices.

One of the highlights of the year also came in May although it didn’t involve any race, but the 24 hour ‘Outrun Cancer’ event that saw all the HuRTS team offer support in Martin Place. Brilliant effort from all as we covered a treadmill and stationary bike for 24 hours. Special mention goes out to the lads that did the ‘Graveyard shift – 2am in the morning, the likes of Bichy, Jono and ‘The Gangster’ Jason Ibrahim.

June, If May was the busy month then June was the quietest as I took myself away for a well earned break to Thailand and Vietnam for pretty much the whole month, Came back refreshed but very out of shape and knew I had to get my head down for some serious training ahead.

July. Started my City to Surf campaign that meant plenty of training on the hills of Sydney twice a week (Sunday and Wednesdays) and tested myself on the Worlds Hardest Park run at St Peters. Kept old mate Renaud in sight all the way as he beat me by only 4 seconds as some confidence started to return. Also did the Harbour 10k on a windy winters day in yet another 37 minute time.

August, Probably my best month of the year as the training continued with another St Peters hit out before my favourite run on the calendar – City to Surf. Love this race and after a couple of ordinary years I was able to post a decent time with a 51.22 and take a few of the HuRTS boys down in the process. Helped big time by running with ‘Mr Jingle Jangle’ Renaud all the way.  The HuRTS team have a good record in the ‘City Mile Dash’ race and I enlisted the help of Crossy Lad, ‘Special Q (Quentin) and The Stallion Durante as we romped away to keep the good name going with an easy win and I even run a 5.01 that I was happy with.

September. Had a good year injury free wise but September was the month that stopped me in my tracks as I pulled a glute muscle (no idea how), bloody painful for about 4 weeks that resulted in me making the start line for the Half Marathon for the Blackmore’s event but failed to even get across the starting mat. I did however manage to get back for the BRAT triathlon towards the end of the month to get my customary 2nd placing and then even going one better for the ‘Golden Duck swim handicap to win in 16.51

October, Was the start of the A.B.C Biathlon series that would see me do a sharp 4k run and 300m every week on a tough course around the Domain, Averaged out doing about 19.30 every week with my fastest a 19.08 for the season. Headed out for my yearly visit to Penrith for the triathlon and was swimming well but had a panic attack in the water that was disappointing as I held the bike and run legs to a decent time.

November. The last busy month of the year and another major disappointment with a season worse of 39.34 to end the Striders series, didn’t get any better with the HuRTS beer mile that was a complete disaster. Even though I wasn’t feeling 100% I not only got cleaned up by Tommy H but girls Corky O’Connor and Sonya. To complete a miserable hat trick for the month I battled (and just survived) the ‘Wedding Cake Island Ocean swim at Coogee.

On a more positive note we honoured Price Ho and Erika Ekland who took out the big Performer of the Year Awards at the popular HuRTS presentation evening at the Tilbury Hotel.

December. With the parties and beers in full flow December is always a tough month. Did my final BRAT race of the season in 68.21 on a stinker of a hot day (only good enough for 5th), and ventured over to the ‘Dark Side’ for the Curl Curl Park Run that resulted in a 4th spot coming home in 18 minutes.  Nice way to end the year when the last Golden Duck was done at the ABC as I stormed home to hold out Crossy Lad and The Champ for my 2nd victory of 2015.

 

Year Highs

1.       City to Surf – I love this race and happy with a 51.22

2.       Out Run Cancer – The camaraderie shown by the whole HuRTS group that make it such a  special club.

3.       My Kurnell races, both of them solid and to take Crossy’s $20 made it even sweeter.
4. England regain the Churchill Cup at SMH Half

 
 
 

Year Lows.

1.       Not being able to break 37 minutes over 10k

2.       Losing to Tommy H in the Beer Mile

3.       Letting Kanser go past me so easy at Canberra – I really do need to toughen up.

 

Tomorrow I will look into my Crystal Ball and look ahead with some big predictions for the year ahead.

 

Cheers.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment