Monday, January 11, 2016

There's a Starman Waiting in the Sky.


Busy morning and with temps due to hit mid 30s with killer humidity the smart money was to get our early doors and so the ‘Magnificent 7’ of Birchy, Sonya, Corky, Laura, Jeet, Gleeso and I were set to go at 6.30am.

A few sessions to choose from but we decided to go with the 2 x 20 minute efforts (3 min rec) and after a 2k warm up (did we really need it?) we were off.

Led out with Jeet tucked on my shoulder through the first and second k before Jeet had a spell from the front, pace was pretty honest but as early as the 10 minute mark I was sweating pretty heavy and knew it was going to be a bloody tough old set.  A little climb around the 15 minute mark nearly saw me in the bin but held on for the whole 20 minutes getting back past the cafe for 5.2ks all up averaging 3.54s

Turned around and retraced my steps for the second half only this time Jeet was the one leading out, I made a break on the downhill at 5 minutes but it didn’t take him long to cover that and from that point I was chasing all the way.

Once again I was struggling with about 8 minutes to go but figured everyone was going to be in the same position due to the conditions and with about 1k to go I sensed Jeet was slowly coming back to me.  It helped having him in front at this point and somehow lifted and was only about 5-10 metres behind him once the 20 minutes ticked over as we both got back to our original starting position.

Held 3.55s for the return leg, that saw 10.4ks done in total.

Good runs from everyone to be honest on a killer of a morning and just glad to get it out the way as I know I wouldn’t have fancied the lunchtime set.

Enjoyed a ‘PowerAde with Gleeso post run that almost went down as well as my Sunday arvo beers.

 

Wasn’t finished yet though as hit into town to run with a client and ‘girl in form’ Victoria – where we knocked out a warm up followed by 6 x 5 minute efforts and she wasn’t messing around either running at a healthy 4.30 pace for each one ..... Think I was the one struggling.

Another 8ks done for a solid morning of 20k for the day before retiring in the city for a coffee, things are looking up as Tommy H joined us and even shouted, Got me thinking what’s he after ? I wonder if he wants to join our SOTB team ?

 

Well the big news overnight came with the sad passing of one of my music hero’s David Bowie, Tragic and we’ve lost one of the finest. Absolute genius the man was and how he used to reinvent himself was pure magic. Grew up listening to him. Loved his old stuff as much as I loved his 80s music. Favourite songs? Too many to mention although I do have a soft spot for ‘Sorrow (1973) and China Girl some 10 years later.

RIP . David Bowie

In fact it was a double sad day for ALL music fans the world over as many were in mourning as Justin Bieber tragically has been confirmed alive and well.

 

Rest day tomorrow although with this heat I’ll be heading back to the pool to catch up with Crossy lad to get the swimming back up to speed.

 

Cheers

 

No comments:

Post a Comment