Monday, February 1, 2016

HuRTS 2 x 20 minutes and Back on the Bike.


Had a rare morning off work and took the opportunity to jump on the bike and did my first bit of speed work for ages as I joined the BRAT/HuRTS team of Kroney, Leech and Cookie in Centennial Park. They set off in group 1 and realistically I knew I should have been in the 2nd wave but didn’t know any of them  so decided to see how long I could get dragged along for with the faster guys.  A few Woollahra hill reps before a few double flat loops at pace that saw me barely hanging in.

Managed to knock out a swift 45ks once I’d returned home for the morning – average pace was 31.8ks that I was happy enough with as that included 12ks getting to and from the park and the hills.

The boys were so much stronger than me though and I really do need to do more of these sessions whenever time permits.

 

With the temps heating up it was back into town for the HuRTS 2 x 20 minute  lunchtime set and good to see Kanser, Tea Towel Tony and Enda back yet again as they start to show signs of improvement. Girls were represented by #1 Mrs Kenny (Renee) and a less than sober Corky O’Conner back from her Byron ‘hippy trip’ on the weekend.

Apart from Fats no one really took it out hard and I found a nice little group including Irish pair #1 Macca and Enda running with Jeet, Champagne and Kanser.  Averaged a comfortable 3.45 pace coming to the Opera House before the massive crowds appeared at the Quay and Passenger Terminal.

Got within about 100m of the ‘Red Squashed Car’ on Hickson with Jeet, Kanser and Charlie that I was happy enough with but knew the return was going to be that much harder, Kanser pulled the pin and started a slow jog back and once the 3 minute recovery was over I reeled him in and asked for some help to at least get me to the Quay before he departed.

 Still felt OK at this stage but could feel the pace slowing down, and once coming back into the Domain at Opera Gates I’d pretty much gone, Got around to Fleet Stairs just as Frenchie Jerome come past and when he decided to stop and take a right turn up the steps, that was my line to follow instead of continuing around to Mrs Macs Chair. Had a nice little chat as we climbed before crossing over and starting again near the ABC Pool for the final 1k or so. Was struggling even then but helped slightly to see some of the slower guys ahead and with less than a minute remaining I caught up with Mrs Kenny and tried to drag her home with me as we both got back with 2 seconds to spare.

My actual running time was only 35.35 out of the 40 minutes, covering 9.25ks ave 3.50s that was slightly disappointing, but still it was all I had and after the tough bike set this morning its hardly surprising.

K splits for the day were: 3.44, 3.45, 3.43, 3.49, 3.49, 3.46, 3.58, 3.53, 3.59, 3.43 (50 seconds)

In  saying I struggled, looking at the watch as  the 43 minutes ticked over there weren’t many back at the Stone Gates with perhaps only Mrs Kenny and I. So it’s safe to say everyone was in the famous Hurt box.

 

Rest day tomorrow. Think I’ve earned it J

No comments:

Post a Comment