Wednesday, February 24, 2016

HuRTS Heatwave 8 x 800s Rushcutters Oval.


Prepared myself for a hot one by heading to the pool first up for the standard 3k swim at P.A.P early doors, Great session and tried to work on a bit of speed that saw me jump out nearly an hour later with 3.2ks done for the day.

Temperatures rose over the course of the next 4 hours and by the time the HuRTS lunchtime session came around we were looking at 38 degrees and I was buggered just marking out the course at Rushcutters Oval for the 8 x 800s.

Big turnout though and good to see the Chairman put in an appearance, with the likes of Barts, Hoey, Kanser Kenny, Macca, Charlie D,  Leech and the ‘3 Pointer Sister’ girls Renee, Jac and’ Eastside’ Elle all putting in a shift. The grass was immaculate and with the trusty NEW Brooks shoes I bounced along sitting in with Tommy H coming home in 2.40 to kick things off.

The 2nd, 3rd and 4th were all similar but I could feel like I was cooking and from about 500m on each I started to labour,  The 5th destroyed me and despite taking plenty of water on board after each rep I was toast.  Reluctant to pull the pin entirely, so went the alternative option of just seeing it out with 400s and trying to stay tucked in with frontrunner Barts at the same time. Number 6 didn’t feel much better as I was still going off the 4 minute rolling cycle but with the extra break coming after that I was fine to see it out with a final kick down of 69 to complete the day.

Times were: 2.40, 2.41, 2.42, 2.43, 2.46, 75, 73, 69

Superb effort from the 20 plus team, with everyone putting in for the day, none better than the Leech who was seen matching it with Barts on rep #7 especially.

I think a few of the lads jumped into the water nearby at the end to cool down, I was just more than happy to even get back to my car without passing out.

 

Normally take Friday OFF but as I’m a little short on the ks this week, I’ll knock out 10k after work in the morning , and the monthly 1k Golden Duck Swim Handicap is on at lunch that I must try to fit in as well.

 

A few pics from the week,

 

Some of the team that braved the harsh conditions today at the end of the 8 x 800s
Anyone else notice the resemblance between one of HuRTS happy people Renaud (middle above) and one of the greats ?

A great way to start any day with a  swim down at P.A.P at 6am in the morning.

No sign of Taffy James again today, although he did say he had something more important on????
 cheers


No comments:

Post a Comment