Saturday, February 6, 2016

Striders Homebush 10k - 40.27


Organised to collect Birchy and Corky O’Connor on the way but Birch was a no show due to his alarm clock failure before heading out for the first in the Striders series for 2016. Anticipation was high and was met by a good crew that included Tea Towel Tony, Mike Leichwark, Leech, Taffy Lad,  NOTB pairing Macca and Justin, Mr & Mrs Kenny, Pete Walker and HuRTS P.O.T.Y Prince Ho who was out to make an early statement for the year.

A good warm up with Jac before heading over to the start area, I hate the start as we are made to go around the car park but settle with fastest girl Julia Degan as we go through the first k in 3.27, Back off a little for the second (3.45s) but even heading onto the narrow path soon after I’m hurting and knowing it’s all over. Not a lot else to say really, just had nothing as I then plodded around the back common area before returning to the start line at 5ks in 19.19

It crossed my mind to call it a day but my ruling of never pulling out unless injured prevented that option so stopped at the water station as Pete Walker offered some encouragement as he went by.  I thought I’d help Jac around for the second half, No sign of her as I slowly went out for the 2nd lap working over 4 min/ks. Heard a booming voice around the 7k mark that belonged to HuRTS pacer of the day on 40 minute duty – Hamish Mountford to pick it up, but even that couldn’t be adhered and then had the Taffy Lad  cruise past soon after. Had some excitement when I could see the frontrunners heading for home as I witnessed Hoey leading from the front to bring it home strong and take out the win in 33.02 with others battles taking place between Biathlon Mike & Fats, and Macca & Leech.

Tried to do the sums in my head around the 9k mark and worked out I’d need a sub 3.40 to break the 40 minute barrier for the day but even that couldn’t coax me to lift as I sadly crossed out in 40.27

Very poor, but it is what it is, and I’ve really got to decide what I want going forward as its obvious that what I’m doing now is NOT working. Thinking about it, one of the things I’ve decided is to up the mileage as I only really run on Tues, Thursday and Sunday long (with the odd Park Run on Saturday ) – simply not enough. So will be out more regular by adding in a Monday and Wednesday into the week.

As I mentioned some good runs from the team first up, Leech sub 36, Macca 35.xx, Fats and Leichwark solid, but the first Timmy Run of the Day to start the season goes to Hoey, 33.02 on that course pretty much running the 2nd lap solo was a great effort.

Despite my disappointment I enjoyed my post run coffee with Taffy, Champ and Corky out in the sticks of Homebush (in fact it was a higher quality then that served over NOTB) as Champ got his camera out to show off his many photos for his mornings work as the official HuRTS photographer including some NON HuRTS members running around in Pink that Taffy Lad seemed to enjoy.

 

Some photos – many thanks to Champ.

 
Hoey leading from the front .
Fats, Leech, Mike Lichwark, and Macca holding in.
I'm struggling as early as the 3k mark.
Thumbs up from Corky O'Connor at the 4k mark.
Same for Taffy Lad.
Although less so at the finish line.
Leech gave it his all.






Happy smiles for HuRTS #1 - Hoey and King of the Biathlon Mike.
Corky and Mrs Kenny (Renee)
Team pic with, A.N.Other (?), Kenny, Timmy, Hoey, Fats, Pete Walker with Mrs Kenny and Corky front.
And maybe I should have stayed and held the sign post up instead of running the 10k.

Cheers



 

No comments:

Post a Comment