Monday, February 29, 2016

Striders Internal 14k Equaliser 65.47 - 9th Overall


Early start as I headed over the bridge and up to Belrose for the internal Striders ‘Equaliser’ 14k event. Bloody tough run this one, with plenty of trails, hills, river crossings and a little bit or road running thrown in for good measure.

Nice team of HuRTS in attendance with Tea Towel Tony Fats, Razor, Brucie, Toby, Skippy Heyden as well as Johnny ‘B Grade’. It’s a fast start for pretty much the first 4ks down to the river crossing although with the rocky surface you still have to take it easier and I lost count how many times I lost my footing. I’ve done this race about 9 times now so I know you can get over the crossing without getting your feet wet by taking a 10m detour, But muppet head here, just followed Vietnamese Vinnie Voung straight through the middle and spent the next 2ks cursing my actions.

Still, I was feeling pretty good and got away from him on the first real climb and all was going well until about the 6k mark, where a spilt in the path led me to question left or right??? Had to wait until Vinnie Voung caught up to be told and continue on my way.

Nice to get back on the road for a good 1000m and open the legs up a little before returning to bush for the tougher 2nd half, Skippy caught me at the 9k mark and basically run with him for most of the way home, found I was climbing and coming down the hills quicker but he was faster on the flat sections. Was hanging in OK until about the 12k mark and then with just the one big climb to go I simply lost it, Heyden got away and then Voung caught me with about 1400m to go. Tried to rally once I got to the top but he was 80 metres ahead by this stage so any chance I had of catching him was gone.

That last 300m is cruel as I seemed to stagger over the line in 65.47 for 9th place overall. Average pace was 4.42s and the k splits made for interesting reading with the following;

3.47, 4.06, 3.57, 4.46, 4.47, 6.29 (lost), 3.58, 4.38, 4.26, 4.39, 4.29, 4.59, 6.41, 3.56

A little disappointed with the 2nd last k and the fact I couldn’t finish if off well, but still a good workout all the same and happy that it was only Andy Heyden that actually came past me at any stage of the 14ks

Some great runs from the team with Fats gearing up for 6ft in two weeks with a solid win over Razor and Binfield 3rd, Toby beat Brucie for 4th spot and Heyden run 7th meaning we occupied 7 of the top 9 places.

 

Caught up with good friend and all round top bloke Richie High and son Ben post run in the leafy suburb of St Ives for a catch up over coffee and get all the latest news and gossip. Always good to catch up with the talented Mr High who beside his running is also a good cricketer (once bowled  Adam Gilchrist out) , tennis star and 2nd best pool player in the HuRTs squad. He still looks in good shape and promises that we will see him at some of the training sessions to come as well as the Striders races.

 

Can’t finish up without mentioning Stoke City’s fine win over the pathetic Aston Villa side that is heading to the Championship, Not the best performance from the lads but it doesn’t need to be if you are up against the Villa these days. To complete my morning I see England gave those pesky Irish boys a nice touch up in the 6 Nations. Now, if I can just find Enda, Kanser and Jac this week to give them some abuse.

 

Afternoon spent with Pommy Birch in the delights of Erko in a nice hip bar listening to reggae music over a few ales – almost the perfect weekend.... except for that 13th k in the Equaliser.

 
Skippy Heyden, Brucie, Fats, Timmy and 'B Grade.
River crossing, why didn't I go around ?
Thumbs Up, but I was far from happy.
Fats powers to the line in 65 mins as he gets ready to take on his favourite 6ft track.
Top of the last hill and heading for home.
Top Man Richie High and son Ben
Sunday Beer of the Day, Mt Tennent Pale Ale, Nice drop with the touches of tropical and citrus fruits and at 5.2% its not for the weak heads. Great Sunday beer, although you wouldn't knock out a full session on it.

Cheers








 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment