Sunday, March 6, 2016

Wollongong Olympic Distance Tri - 2.15:53


The beautiful South Coast at Wollongong was to be the host for the morning for my first Olympic Distance Triathlon in nearly 4 years (Noosa). Was really looking forward to it and although the bike training was nearly none existent, the swimming was coming along OK and the running would look after itself especially within the ranks of some of the tri guys out there.

Real early start, up before 4am and had to have all the bike set up in transition by 6 only then to stand around for over 2 hours until my wave at 8.07am. Good to catch up with Pete Walker, Gangster Jason Ibrahim and plenty of other friendly faces before I was called down to the start area.

Settled early and keen not to go out too hard to begin and enjoyed the calm waters for the first 5 minutes or so,  Once you got out past the sheltered headland though it started to get choppy that made it tougher but enjoyed the return back to shore and then had to repeat for a second time to get the 1.5ks up.

Stood up out the water as the clock ticked 26.45 and was happy to get my weakest leg out the way in good time as I made my way up to the long transition and out onto the bike. The bike course is a cracker and you head out of town 3 times but apart from one little hill heading out /coming back in its a fast ride as I was holding close to 40ks per/hr for the 40k. Back into T2 with 63 minutes for the 2nd part of the race and worked out pretty much from the go that 4 min/ks on the run would bring me home with a credible 2.15 for the day.

A two lap affair to cover the 10ks with the first turnaround at the 2.5k but even by that stage I was starting to struggle and was working hard to maintain as the temps were also starting to get the better of me. Saw Pete and The Gangster moving about the same pace although both looked like Usain Bolt compared to some of the others who were probably moving closer to 6 & 7 minute plus pace.

I was forced to take water at every station and the last 2ks were torture, and it certainly wasn’t a pretty finish as I crossed the line as the watch said 2.15:48

Pretty happy with that overall, Swim leg was solid, Bike was far better than I predicted although I probably pushed a little too much that in turn made the reason why the run was harder than expected. Still, 6th in age group with 4th and 5th only 30 seconds ahead and I know there is time to be made on the bike as too the run leg. My transitions don’t get any better, and I never seem to see anyone else around my level sitting on the ground after the swim messing around putting socks on.

Official times and placing here;


 

Well done to Pete and Jason who had a good battle with Pete coming home in 2.09:59 and Jas one spot behind in a shade over 2.10

Huge Congrats to Crossy Lad – Andy Cross who then took out the outright win in the shorter version once all the big boys were all done in the Sprint event.

 

A bit of recovery and a chat post race before the drive home and then out for some well earned Sunday arvo beers on the rooftop beer garden at The Glenmore in the Rocks joined by the ‘Love Doctors’ Craig and Vic’s as well as Jeet who also popped in for a slurp or two. No sign of Birch and Matthews though who let me down once again....... Still, I shouldn’t be too harsh as they did have a big evening on Saturday evening all the same on Oxford St.

 

Rest Day Monday and went and enjoyed the delights of a Thai Massage to ease those tired muscles.

Will be back out in the morning for some more speed work with Kanser in ready for the next big race in 5 weeks, the Canberra Half

 
Always nice to get the swim leg done and get back on terraferma.

Cheers

1 comment: