Friday, April 22, 2016

Speed, Easy Runs, Hills and Tempo Running


Tuesday, Into town for one of my favourite sessions that has us doing 14 x 3 minute efforts (60 sec recovery), Although hardly anyone ever does the whole 14 these days and I’d decided early after some consultation with Crossy Lad to do 10 but hold each one under 3.30 pace.

Sat in with a small little group that included Jeet, Brucie, Mike Lichtwark with Erika Ekland breathing down my neck all the way. Hitting exactly the same spot heading out finishing at the far gates and was then getting home with a few seconds to spare throughout.

Pace for the 10 reps; 3.27, 3.27, 3.26, 3.26, 3.27, 3.27, 3.29, 3.28, 3.29, 3.26

Happy with the 10 reps, and most went the same way, although Erika was only good for 7, Crossy Lad 8, C.T 8 – not sure what that’s all about ?

Fair play to Renee and other girl Kathy on knocking out the whole 14 – very impressed.

 

Wednesday.  Arranged to run easy with Corky and was joined by ‘Yum Cha’ man himself Brendan Wong. Usual route with the pace around the 5 minute mark, Jacqueline was struggling a little, think through dehydration so cut it short by coming back through the city once we returned to the Quay area.

11.5ks all up – 55 minutes

 

Thursday.  If Tuesdays session is one of the favourites then the Thursday set is the one that most dread and only the tough need apply for the 20 minute Timmy’s Hills and 5k tempo double header. Still, big crowd out and it was Crossy Lad leading from the front for the first part of the set. As early as 6 minutes I was looking at the watch wishing it was over and when Crossy lapped me on 10 minutes I made a little goal that he wouldn’t do it again before the 20 was up.

Held pretty strong, reeled in Richie Large, and Leech towards the end and happy to report that Crossy never got anywhere near me either as I covered 4.7ks in the set time averaging 4.15s

A short break and we went as one for the 5k tempo, and found I was running with Leech, Brendan and Super Kev as we went through the first 1k in 3.48, Held the pace but got dropped a little on the first of the hills and never managed to get back with the lads.  Buggered coming the final climb but happy enough to get back in 18.39 averaging 3.51s  , Splits were – 3.48, 3.58, 3.48, 3.54, 3.16 (870 metres)

 

Good week and earned myself a well earned rest on Friday, Although it did mean I didn’t swim at all this week and will have to get back in the pool on Monday.

 

Big weekend coming up, I’m heading to cheer the Red and the White tomorrow watching the Swans in action, In the Premier Stoke face a tough trip to the Blue half of Manchester and if I’m honest I can’t see any joy.

Timmy’s Tip Man City 3 vs. Stoke 1

 

On Sunday it’s the big London Marathon over in Blighty. The boys have been flying and have done all the work required so let’s hope they get the rewards they so deserve.  I’m predicting a bit of a mixed bag from the 4 boys. The winner will be Tommy H who will break the 2.30 barrier. I pray Sammy gets his time but I fear he could be disappointed with Barts also failing to break his 2.30 marker

Predicted times

Tommy H 2.28;54

Barts          2.34:47

Macca       2.45.30

Sammy A 2.46.39

 

We will all be watching in the pub at teatime and cheering the lads all the way – Best Wishes to all..

 

ANZAC Day on Monday so will be out supporting the old boys and having the odd game of Two UP over a few bevvies

Have a great weekend

Train Well, Stay Safe

Cheers

 

3 comments:

  1. Timmy appreciate the support and believing in me. Barts

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jeeze ! Now I can see what motivated Bart's 😁

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete