Tuesday, May 24, 2016

HuRTS 4 x 10 min efforts (2 mins recovery)


4 x 10 minute efforts was the plan and I pulled rank and changed the starting location to the Opera Gates (that was the original start anyway for this session) as I thought it then meant the 4th rep was easier coming back down the hills instead of everyone labouring and killing themselves on the final effort.

Big team out and Mikey was back barking out the orders to the troops for the penultimate time before he leaves us, with Special ‘Q’ and ‘Paddy to be’ Nicky Roberts leading from the front. I found a nice little pack to head out with that included  Jeet, Brendan and French pair Jerome and Dom. Pace was good without smashing  it and we ended up half way down hospital road on the 10 minutes averaging 3.45 pace covering 2.7ks

The return was always going to be faster and the boys went out hard, holding 3.30s as we managed to get back to the start area with a good 45 seconds remaining. The 3rd rep is tough and we were joined by Enda for this one, Brendan pushed the pace and I was just hanging in before I started to struggle beside the ABC pool hill, Super Kev was close by and encouraged me to hang in with him, only managed that until the final hill before the flyover and then I basically blew my gasket on 8 minutes.

Cruised and walked the remainder before catching the boys during recovery period and then decided to push if for one final rep home, Jerome led this on and I was able to sit the whole way once again getting back to the start in 9.15

Pace for the 4 reps was; 3.45, 3.33, 3.46, 3.33

Felt good today and was moving well although I still struggle on the hills, decent confidence booster all the same just being able to run with Jerome and man in form Jeet was nice.

With only 10 weeks to go before this year’s City to Surf it could be time to start heading out and do some hills and prepare the same way I did 12 months back up on ‘Heartbreak Hill’ on Wednesdays.

 

Rest day Wednesday, but will be back for early swim Thursday before Mikey’s Farewell session at Rushcutters.... There won’t be a dry eye in the house I’m tipping  J

 

Cheers

No comments:

Post a Comment