Monday, May 9, 2016

State 10k Homebush - 37.11


One of the top 5 races on the HuRTS calendar is the State 10k on a fast Homebush track and it’s here the massive team turned out for a rather successful morning for many.

Collected Taffy, Corky and the doctors on route and then met with pretty much the whole group as we warmed up as the smog and haze refused to clear from the nearby back burning. No sign of the big guns Tommy H, Barts, Special Q or Prince Ho (although I did later find out he was on pacing duties with Erika after letting me down ... AGAIN), Also missing were Irish trio Stankard, Kane and the Leech.

Always a frantic fast start this race but tried to hold back for the first 1k, and then settled going through the 2nd before getting a look at the leaders for the first time at the furthest turnaround point. Was feeling OK and moving freely before the first climb back up towards the stadium but found I was once again running pretty much solo with only Julia Degan just ahead.

Came around the starting post and headed back out for the second loop and got a nice few words of encouragement from Pete Walker at the 5k mark as I had a quick glance to see 18.25 that I was happy with.  Knew though I’d have to maintain for the tougher 2nd half if I were to break the tape for a sub 37.

Seemed to go through the motions a little around 6-7ks  and at the last hairpin I got to see all those that were behind me and were probably looking at running me down (ala Erika and her personal pacer). Tried to hold it together for the final climb before even more pain as you hit the far side of the stadium (hill) before entering with a final 400m to go. Lifted in the hope of catching Julia but failed as I crossed the line in 37.11 average pace 3.41s

Solid run but in truth yet again I thought maybe I was in late 36 shape and still failing to break 37 is a big disappointment. Feeling stronger though so I’m hoping there is at least light at the end of the tunnel.

My k splits for the day went. 3.30, 3.35, 3.36, 3.39, 3.42, 3.41, 7.34(7 &8ks), 3.42, 3.38

 

Some fine runs today with a few of the team breaking that magic 35 minute barrier, Stevie Perry (34.58), Brucie, and I was particularly pleased for Jeet who’s great training paid off as he also dipped well under (34.42) taking yet another $20 from me. I was thinking it was the ‘Timmy run of the Day’ but on closer inspection I’ve gone Toby Hedgeland who blitzed it with a 33.50 ..... bloody hell, this lad normally runs the shorter reps around Rushcutters with me. Others off note were, Angus Boyd, Crossy Lad , both the Jordan’s (Erika & Darren), clients Craig(breaking 40 mins) and Victoria nabbing herself a PB for good measure. and nice to see the Taffy Boy sneak back under the 40 minute barrier despite running over 100 kilos.

 

Enjoyed  a good coffee and breaky post run with Corky, Taffy, Birchy, Ruth and Vics to round out a top morning.

 

I’ll post the photos in tomorrow’s blog.

 

Cheers

 

 

 

 

1 comment:

  1. Surprise surprise NO mention of the footie..... Scanderlous

    ReplyDelete