Thursday, September 8, 2016

HuRTS 3 x 2k Reps


AM. Time restrictions meant that wasn’t able to get the whole 3k swim in at PAP this morning but still had some time so jumped in and after a 200m warm up went straight in and punched out 1k. Nothing special and certainly wasn’t fast. 100m to cool down and I was done with 1300m to my name.

Better than nothing I suppose.

 

PM. Armed with my NEW Brooks ‘Asteria’ trainers I was into the city for the tough 3 x 2k reps starting down at the Passenger Terminal. Massive team and the strength in depth was unbelievable today with what must have been about 15-20 sub 35 minute 10k runners lining up.

After a rest day yesterday I was feeling refreshed and the aim today was to finally get ALL 3 reps under 7 minutes (3.30 pace) something that I’ve not done for ages.

The pace was on from the start as I settled in with the likes of Jerome, Mikey L, Macca, Hipsters Chris & Mitch, Skippy, Hamish, Brendan and Angus. I knew I was going too fast but wanted to get pulled along with the team and nearly had a heart attack when I crossed out with perhaps my fastest 2k rep in 6.41,  Was blowing hard and I needed every second of the 2 minute recovery before the return leg. Again sat in with the team, more with Hamish and Macca probably about 5 metres from the main bunch. Despite how tough it was the legs were turning over OK and I actually led Macca home coming around the Park Hyatt for the last 250m in 6.44

I was dreading the 3rd, but knew one more effort even at a reduced pace would get be enough for the day. Any desire I had to stay with the pack went out the window over the first 300m as they flew and the self doubts I could get through it hit me. Managed to get back to the entrance of Barangaroo and with 500m to go dug deep and worked off Hamish once again and somehow stopped the clock for the final rep in 6.52

Even with the pace slide on the final rep I was stoked to get all done in the following times – 6.41, 6.44, 6.52

 

A good solid cool down with Enda, Hoey and J.C back into the heart of the City feeling well satisfied and now thinking that maybe I can once again start running sub 36s?

 

Rest Day tomorrow although may try to fit that extra bit of swimming in that I never managed this morning

 

Even with limited time this morning the pool looked so good it was hard NOT to go for a dip. Best Pool in the City if you ask me - Prince Alfred.

Cheers

No comments:

Post a Comment