Tuesday, October 18, 2016

Melbourne Half Marathon - 86.09

The HuRTs tour bus travelled south to Mexico and it once again brought some big numbers for the running of the Melbourne Marathon/Half weekend.
I got lumbered in digs with Birchy, Jeet and Brucie Lambert and after a nice early pasta dinner on the Saturday we woke to howling winds on the Sunday that was to make for a tough day ahead. I've not been in bad form training wise but I knew that I'd have to reassess my goals with winds up to 55ks per/hour forecast.
Lined up with Jac O'Connor and Birchy and got chance to wish the 'Chairman' all the best before the guns goes and we are away. Blimey, even the first 1k seems tough up a hill before I settle coming down St Kilda Road to some great support from the travelling 'Highnam clan'. Get joined around the 4k mark by Erika Ekland and we exchange some chit chat for a good few minutes before the horrors were about to begin turning into Albert Park at the 5ks. Sense her struggle and drop slightly so bark at her to just tuck into me to avoid the wind. Its a long stretch of about 3ks and by the time we hit 8 I'm toast (although Erika is still on my shoulder). Get a little break at the top end, but I'm unable to take advantage of it and its here that Mrs Jordan pushes on (and never seen again).
Back up Pit straight in Albert Park to more high winds and I'm a broken man and I'm mighty relieved to get that part out the way and turn for home. Thinking the worst was out the way I was sadly mistaken as I headed back up St Kilda Road to another bloody headwind. I knew any sense of time had long gone and for the best part of 5k home it was little more than a Sunday Long run pace. Gave a good shout out to Mikey L, 'B Grade Binfield and Robin Vonk who came past in the marathon that gave me a little boost but when I saw the bridge about 800m from the famous M.C.G I was nearly ready to chuck myself in the nearby Yarra I was that over it and even the lap on the inside field of the ground couldn't lift my mood as I crossed out in 86.09 for the days work.
One of the toughest I've had to endure to be honest and when Sammy J came for a chat about 60 seconds later I offered no more than a grunt as I tried to regain some sense of normality.
Pretty disappointed but I know the conditions played a big part in the times for everyone and it was estimated that it cost between 2 - 2.30 (although I was about 4)
Splits were.
5k  19.00 @ 3.48s
10k 19.56 @4.00s
15k 20.31 @4.07s
20k 20.54 @4.11s
1.3k  1.37 @4.13s
 86.09 Average 4.02s

As you'd expect there was a very mixed bag from the team, The good was Jeet, Laura,Yido Darren Jordan, and Biggsy (all sub 3 hrs in the Marathon), Tom was average at best with his 74, Jac, Eastside and Birchy all got a pass mark and the ugly went to roomie for the weekend Brucie Lambert who had a race to forget with a 3.35 marathon time.
Hard to give a Timmy Run of the Day as I think the following 3 were all worthy on such a tough day for different reasons, so in no particular order I've gone
Michael Ho - 2.32:02 Class act and once again showed he's the master of the marathon within the team and despite only being 35 kilo wet through the wind didn't seem to slow him as he took out 12th place overall.
Mike Lichtwark - 2.40:02 Normally the 'King of the Biathlon Mike has once again proved he can go long as well as his run in 6Ft earlier in the year also proved.
Erika Jordan   84.07 The Swedish girl is one tough cookie, when the going got tough she motored on when others just gave up. Brilliant run in such conditions.

The afternoon /evening was the usual cracker when the team came together to exchange stories over a thousand beers. Poor Tommy H didn't even last till his Uber came and departed at 5.30pm, C.T was about the same, Sammy the Salmon took the easy option of a Sunday flight home and it was left to the regulars Birch, O'Connor, 'Sweaty' Pearson to kick on throughout the evening.

Another top night and weekend even if the race didn't pan out as expected.
Few photos from the weekend and race

I was looking OK, Pity it was only the first 1k
Not so at the 20k marker.
and the famous finish on the MCG
I was worried about my flatmates before the run - Jeet here in the zone.
And Bruce was always going to struggle with ONLY 12 gels to get him through
With Hoey and The Chairman Tommy H
The English lads on tour - Birch, Lindop and Highnam
The gang love a social
Great to have Laura back running well, seen here with partner and #1 supporter Wol.
C.T, Jeet and Jac O'Connor
A run he would want to forget - Bruce on his way to a 3.35 ... Look at the stride length

Cheers











1 comment:

  1. I give you a yell and can't even rate a mention in your blog. That does it. I'm reading Hoey's blog from now on. At least I get food tips.

    ReplyDelete