Sunday, October 2, 2016

Striders Homebush 38.38

Up and out early to Homebush as I had to get my volunteering roll done for Striders before the 10k itself. Very easy though with holidays it was perhaps the smallest turnout on record for a Striders race. Nice little HuRTS group with the likes of Leech, Hoey, Walker, Champ, Hamish, man in form Scotty O'Connor, Birchy, Kanser as well as NOTB boys Justin & Ben lining up.
A bit of banter on the starters line as I was giving out to Hoey for his duty as the 35 minute pacer that actually served no one and was about as much use as a chocolate fireguard.
I've been training solidly for weeks and was confident I'd be able to break 37 minutes and despite going a tad fast sitting with Hoey for the first 1k (3.30) all was on track. Didn't last long though as by about 2.5ks into it I felt as sick as a dog and wasn't even sure how I'd make it back to the end of the first loop at 5ks.
Never been so happy to see 'B Grade Johnny Binfield who was dishing out water at the 5k marker and I took the opportunity to stop for a quick chat before making the decision to keep going. Somehow got to 7k before the next breakdown and it was Peter Walker along with a nice group of about 8 that I jumped onto and that just the boost I needed to get me home.
It was just a battle to get home and the thought process was just to try get something out the wreck and hold out P.Walker,  A small victory was achieved and even found a little kick albeit for about 50m coming over the bridge to finish off.
38.38 time wise and must say I hated nearly every minute of it. Putting it down to sickness and hopefully nothing more as my training indicates a faster (better) performance than that was on the cards.
Run of the morning was Scotty O'Connor who took out first place and the more I see of this lad the more I reckon he's the real deal and I'm tipping he'll beat the Big 3 very soon within the team.
Everyone else was pretty average as well, with Hoey even struggling to run to pacing duties, coming in on 35.20 and Kanser nearly has the underachiever wrapped up for certain as he's now down running 41 minutes and Birchy was no better with a 44 recorded.
K splits for the morning;
3.30, 3.41, 3.36, 3.39, 3.54, 3.43, 4.17, 3.48, 3.47, 3.51, 48 sec (270m)

Brekkie and coffee after with Birch & Kanser although wasn't really with it and just wanted to get home.

A few hours rest and recovery and I was fine and ready to go for a big footy final long weekend.

Winner and future HuRT #1 Scotty O'Connor

The Tokyo 'Sumo' Twins - Birchy and Kanser looking very happy after the 44 and 41 minute runs - Shameful.


Cheers

No comments:

Post a Comment